Trailer Modifications

sol invictus

Trailer Modifications

Post by sol invictus »

My Investigator is sitting on a galvanised 'flat bed' tilt trailer. The trailer is in great condition however as it has a flat bed, my 563 sits very high because of the bilge keel and is a pain to launch. I have considered using the tilt function however the guy I bought it off said he used the tilt once to retrieve and had a lot of problems as the bow pointed very high as it came onto the trailer and he found it very hard to winch on....any ideas?

And advice abouth modification to the trailer so that it sits lower would be most welcome. Also any contacts in melbourne that coul do a good job at a modest price.

Steve
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
snoopebj

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by snoopebj »

Hi Steve
Can't help you on the Melbourne trailer fix - I'm in Wollongong and use a great local welding company here - Brighton Welding.
The sad truth about the otherwise excellent Investigator in my experiences is that it is a pig to launch and retrieve. I have a "you beaut" trailer - very low on the ground, lots of keel rollers and a v- roller retriever.
I always tilt the trailer to launch - sticks for a while then rockets off (hang on to your bow rope!). Retrieving you have to virtually submerge the trailer and float the boat on. I tried using the tilt to retrieve once and the pressure broke the winch.( I read somewhere someone else lost their winch post doing the same.)
Good luck
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Steve
It shouldnt be that hard to launch and retrieve. How about posting some pics so we can take a look at your trailer?
Straight roller axles, and yes, some good lubrication, can make a big difference.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

Thanks Snoop

Good idea Yara, will post some pics shortly

Steve
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hi all, a good topic and advice,

I'm modifying Teria's trailer again. Yes, have the getting "stuck on the trailer" problem too.

It's an old type trailer, made from 3x2" box section beams (as opposed to more recent trailers with deeper C section beams)

I thought it was the small keel guides up forward, they were tight against the keel kind of wedged into them but after cutting these off today, it's still stuck.

There are not that many rollers under the keel which could be the problem. or maybe the wrong type of roller (they may be v hull rollers, perhaps flat rollers are better?) :?

also cut off the aft keel guides ..want to try a different keel guide system (such as the 2 bits of wood i've seen on photos of some investigator trailers)

The more major job i'm contemplating for later,,is to extend the draw bar (and strengthen it,,) it has a lever brake system going though the 3x2" draw bar. If the draw bar was extended say 1-3 feet this would make the boat go deeper into the water and hopefully almost float off/on :?: it looks like a very short draw bar to me.

Any ideas, advice and especially photos of the above mentioned areas would be appreciated

Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Andrew,

Nice sailing weather in Townsville this time of year.

I used some "wobble wheels" mounted vertically to guide the keel onto the trailer.
Attachments
Guide rollers.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Hi guys
I too have problems launching and retrieving. Couple of factors. 1 - tandem trailer which I believe affects the angle of the launch - trailer flatter. 2. Rear wheel drive Amorak which has a crap hand brake. On the first retrieval at St Kilda Marina the rear wheels were on slime. Anyway on retrieval everything started sliding backwards - let go of the winch and the boat slid back off and I raced around to the cab and jumped on the brakes. - car was up to its axles in water. - not good.

Anyway looked at options and decided on extending the draw bar enough so that I can stay clear of any slime. Extension, which so far I have only needed on retrieval, gives ma an extra 85 cm draw bar length.
Attachments
IMG_0003 (4).jpg
IMG_0004 (1).jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Nice photos thanks, please keep them coming

Teria on trailer

The rollers set up_ have removed keel guides in prep for adding new ones. Also plan to add some extra (flat) rollers

The bow crutch_This is where the boat balances on trailer for easy tilt (with outboard weight). Plan to extend the bow crutch 6" so it's also above the winch cable.

cheers
Attachments
bow crutch
bow crutch
DSCN0212 (160x120) (150x113).jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Roller setup
Roller setup
DSCN0211 (160x120) (140x105).jpg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Terias trailer
Terias trailer
DSCN0215 (1024x768) (200x150).jpg (86.96 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Andrew