Offshore Modifications- 'Current Affair' mast posts/buoyancy

snoopebj

Offshore Modifications- 'Current Affair' mast posts/buoyancy

Post by snoopebj »

Mast compression posts
Some have experienced stress cracks around the mast base due to flexing above the cabin support arch so like others here I've added extra supports.
I used a couple of old pine bed posts and a length of oregon shaped into the roof curve and used thin timber wedges along its top edge. I then passed screws into the posts and oregon beam from the main cabin side. I had also rebated a channel into the underside of the beam to pass the electrics for my nav lights cd player and v berth light.

Buoyancy
When I fitted the dual batteries in the bow locker I put hinges and a latch with rubber seals on the lid to keep water out. The v berth lockers have lids with sliding locks and the s/s side vents can be closed. The stbd locker has three 10litre collapsible water carriers with a plastic feed pipe going down through the drain plug along the bilge and up into a tap on the port sliding sink/stove unit. I use the port v berth locker to store food items.
By having both v berth lockers and bow locker sealable it should (theoretically!) together with the sealed compartments under the main berths provide adequate buoyancy in the event of a knockdown.
Enough talk - thank you all for your ideas and help and now to take this baby out there.
cheers
Attachments
floor.JPG
mastposts-2.JPG
lockers-2.JPG
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'