Mast Step (Tabernacle)

Yara50

Mast Step (Tabernacle)

Post by Yara50 »

I have copied across some old posts for reference.
Hi Folks,

I was out the eastern side of St Helena, when the breeze began to pick up, so I decided to tighten up the backstay, to put a tap bend in the mast and flattern the main, to allow the wind to sp[ill off it more readily.
Anyway, the top fitting that holds the wheels for the main halyard and to which the backstay is attatched came loose and threatened to dislodge, so I took all tension off and turned in towards the island to more shallow water, anchored and dropped the mast to see if I could make some repaires.
This I did successfully, with some bolts and selftapping screws. The real trouble came when I went to raise the mast, single handed, on what was now a 0.7meter swell, and the boat was side on and rocking and the mast swayed out to one side a tad too much and the cast aluminium base of the mast broke.
After three more goes and a but heaving I got the mast up, and limped home to Manly.
So, Where do I get another base?
Robert B

msn-solo
msn-solo wrote on Dec 19, '06

Sory to hear this Robert und I was at home thinking what a goot time you had. Here it is:
Keeleys Marine Suplies
Factory 26
Horsecraft Place
Moorabin Vic.

He is a very nice old fellow , he will send it und include the invoice
Regards Gunter

Bob Keeley is a great guy, and was a sailmaker in the early post-war years- yes- 2nd World War!
His correct phone number is 03 9555 4965.
Maybe we should stock up on a few of these bases?
Ian B

Hi Folks,

I think I paid $55 which included the postage. Bob was able to get it in the post and to me the very next day as I recall it.
Bob led me to believe that the base is also common to Hartley trailer sailers and so I would imagine them to be reasonably common.

Cheers, Robert B

Well it happened to me too. Luckily on the trailer as I was raising the mast today.
Looks like these alloy castings are a weak point. Recommend to all owners to check for cracks. Failure on the water could be rather inconvenient.

Ian B Investigator563 Yara
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara