investigator563.com

Forum for Investigator sailors and other enthusiasts
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Boat Capacity in accordance with Marine and Safety By-Laws
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:18 pm 

Here's a good one.
I have to fit a sticker to my yacht stating the MAXIMUM CAPACITY number of persons (SMOOTH WATERS ONLY) to my yacht.
Now this number is achieved by

a. a number representing the maximum capacity calculated according to Australian Standard AS1799.1-1992; or
b. the manufacturer’s or builder’s maximum persons capacity rating or Australian Builders Plate (ABP) (if fitted)
c. a capacity calculated in a manner approved by the MAST (Maritime and Safety Tasmania).

Now I have tried to find a copy of Australian Standard AS1799.1-1992, and I am unable to obtain a copy for free. Only available for purchase at huge expense...….. give that a miss.....NO WAY AM I PAYING!!!!!

the manufacturer’s or builder’s maximum persons capacity rating or Australian Builders Plate (ABP) ……. hmmm not available, as were not used back in 1970's and 1980's by yacht builders.

a capacity calculated in a manner approved by the MAST (Maritime and Safety Tasmania). ……….. hmmm, think of a number, multiply it by 3, subtract 3, multiply by 100, subtract how much I paid for my yacht, and then add another number of my own choice. ( I don't think MAST would approve of this calculation.)

Now any suggestions anyone. What do people do in other states, especially NSW, as I have also noticed that my yacht was originally registered with the RTA in NSW.

Thanks David.

Post subject: Re: Boat Capacity in accordance with Marine and Safety By-Laws
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am 

I wonder how our Investigators got by for the last forty years without that sticker.

I know that Investigators can carry at least one band with all instruments but I doubt that the authorities would take that evidence as a quantitative assessment.

There are several different versions of tables I have seen which relate people carrying capacity to boat size. Some tables take into account beam size as well as length but others go only on length (see below). For the Investigator at 5.63m long, all the tables that I can find result in a capacity of 7 adults. That would be quite squeezy on our boats.

I might be able to get a look at the Australian Standard. If I can, I'll extract the formular for carrying capacity and post here for prosperity.

Attachment:
Band(s).jpg
Band(s).jpg [ 47.88 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Attachment:
Boat capacity table.jpg
Boat capacity table.jpg [ 24.94 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Investigator #39

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:39 pm 

Thanks for that Ray. It applies to the vessel when under motor. So 7 people would not be so squeezy, as it also refers to protected waters. Therefore, you could have adults sitting in the cabin, or even sitting securely on the foredeck or cabin top. They don't have to be seated they can be standing as long as there is grab rails for them to hold onto. So, I think 7 people sounds reasonable. Back in the late 70's my parents had a Hartley TS16, and we all as a family went out on it regularly. That is my parents and my 2 brothers, making a total of 5, but we only sailed in the sheltered waters of the Tamar River. The investigator has a lot more room than a TS16, plus lifelines, and grab rails on the cabin top. Not that I would ever be taking out 7adults anyhow, but I may wish to take out 4 adults into Bass Strait, and with a maximum capacity of 7, makes 4 adults in open water feasible and legit.
Cheers David.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 am 

I've had a look at the standard. (AS1799.1-1992 has now been superceded by AS 1799.1 - 2009.) There is no cross reference to an ISO standard.

AS 1799.1 doesn't include maximum persons tables but instead involves a calculation based on the maximum load capacity of the boat. An allowance of 80 kg is made for the body mass of each adult with an additional allowance of 10 kg per person for ancillary equipment and personal gear.

The maximum persons is calculated by taking the maximum load capacity, subtracting the assumed mass of the largest outboard motor (given in a table) and dividing the result by 90kg. There is a slightly different calculation for inboard motors but the Investigator would use the outboard method. The standard doesn't mention sail boats.

To calculate the maximumum load capacity, you first have to calculate the hull volume below the Static Float Plane. This is the level that water must reach before filling the boat. For the Investigator, this would be the level at the top of the combing below the cabin entry. The volume is converted to the mass of water it would displace, subtracting the mass of the boat, excluding the mass of the engine, fuel tank and fuel, allowing 1 kg of boat load capacity for each 5 kg of remaining displacement, and finally subtracting the mass of the engine, fuel tank and fuel to obtain the maximum load capacity.

I'll run the numbers to find the answer but will first have to take some measurements of the hull to determine volume below the Static Float Plane. This could be tricky.

David, I'll send you a PM with more info.

Investigator #39

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm 

Measured up my hull and did the calculations as per AS 1799.1 - 2009. Guess what? Works out to be 7 people just like the table says.

Here is a copy of the calculations to satisfy the powers that be.

Attachment:
Investigator Max People calculation.jpg
Investigator Max People calculation.jpg [ 60.47 KiB | Viewed 17 times ]

Investigator #39