Death of the two stroke?

General Sailing Talk
Yara50

Re: Death of the two stroke?

Post by Yara50 »

The 6hp 4 stroke Toey Sailpro is single cylinder.

For an Investigator you need the finest pitch prop you can get, whatever motor you buy, so you get the revs at low boat speed. Revs gives you power.

The 4 stroke is economical as it uses a lot less fuel. An important point if you are doing lots of motoring.
Maintenence of a 4 stroke is not that hard for a do it yourselfer. Plenty of info on Utube.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Well, the varmints went and done it.
A073EDE5-C043-43B3-8E98-99EF5509797F.jpeg
Saturday Aldi cattle dog and not a 2 stroke to be seen . The end of the world as we know it :shock:

I am becoming a dinosaur I went to Canberra by train last week ...there are no public ticket offices..you can’t buy a ticket at any station in Newcastle, only by phone or online. There are no public phones at Westfield shopping centre.....no bloody two strokes...where will it all end ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Only a couple of months before 2 strokes are banned from sale.

I thought that this was a good time to do up my old Seagull. Sixty years old and now good for another sixty. If you take into account the energy required to manufacture a new outboard motor every ten or fifteen years, this old outboard has probably the lowest carbon footprint around.
Attachments
Seagull Outboard.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Nice restoration Ray. Wouldn’t it be good if manufacturers found a selling point in making modern machines that were easy to repair and service like old machinery was.

I read an interesting development on the news this week regarding a “Right to Repair “ push.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-03- ... fmredir=sm
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Raya

Post by Raya »

Went to the Sanctuary Cove boat show yesterday and was surprised to see a new 2 stroke outboard at the Mercury stand given the 30 June deadline. Seems that the cut off dates for sales has been extended for another year. First I'd heard about it. The salesman said that they had plenty of stock if I was interested.

Of interest, there was one new trailer sailer amoung the hundreds of power boats on display. It was a Cygnet 20. Nice looking boat (but not as nice as an Investigator). It's good to see a new Aussie built trailer sailer on the market. https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/ ... iew-59985/
Ray
Investigator #39
no way

Post by no way »

Hey Raya
Yes nice resto. Wanna read some funny stuff on British Seagulls check this SA link http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... nt-6607932
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Brilliant job on the seagull Ray,

It lives!! I just got my 2HP 2-stroke (1983) Suzuki outboard running again. It sat for over 7 years in the shed after i bought it with a Fatty Knees 8 dinghy (and how long before that?) Thought she was dead after the outboard wreckers mechanic told me it wouldn't be worth doing up (don't trust everything you hear from the first mechanic) Added a $40 fuel tap, cleaned the plug and fuel tank and she started easily. Gear box oil was dark grey (good) so changed that too. Looks like impellers still pumping.

The river test run went well, it only needs 1/3 throttle to cruise the dinghy, very lightweight about 12kg.

[img]
20190810_162625.jpg
[/img]

Its probably too small/short for an investigator, but will try it to see if its deep enough to be useful as a backup.

No marine dealer seems to be selling any new 2 stroke outboards around here lately, they're all 4 strokes.
Last edited by Andrew on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I notice on ads some deals being offered by local retailers for 2stroke obs now the final curtain has been temporarily redrawn. Anybody found a bargain . I’m tempted.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Raya

Post by Raya »

Aldi is offering a range of garden 2 stroke tools next Saturday (12 Oct). There is a line trimmer, chainsaw and blower, each under $100. (Can't be too many countries left in the world where Aldi can sell 2-strokes.) Light weight engines are ideal for these applications.
Ray
Investigator #39
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

My Johnson 9.8hp 2 stroke is now sadly in retirement. It was going to cost too much to fix properly so took it back home with the lower leg in bits (plan to patch it up to be the first item in my "outboard museum", have a spare test tank to run it) The mechanics would have taken it for spare parts but when i saw the forlorn pile of old outboards and bits outside, i couldn't bring myself to abandon such a trusty old workhorse.

The replacement is a new Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp ULshaft 4-stroke. Relaunched Teria last week for a 3 day trip, took a bit of adapting to the toey's high prop torque but the new motor went well. Its very quiet, a fuel miser, no cavitatition. With the sail prop it has plenty of power and operates at 1/3-1/2 throttle for cruising near hull speed in most conditions. it will surely change and expand cruise plans/sailing/motoring style. The lighter weight of 28 kg's is good, should be able to lug that for a few more years (plus got an outboard trolley for use and motor storage at home)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria