Stretched Investigator

General Sailing Talk
PeterY

Stretched Investigator

Post by PeterY »

Saw this boat on Gumtree. I think I also saw it for sale some years ago.

I have always thought that the weather helm would be reduced if the keel was extended all the way to the transom and this sort of heads in that direction a bit.

It looks like a professional job but I wonder why it was done. The upsides might be a tad more storage space in the stern locker and space for the bimini to fold out of the way. But that also means a longer stretch to reach the outboard.

The underhung rudder might operate in less disturbed water, but it looks to be shallower than the transom hung ones, so that advantage might be lost. It would also be vulnerable on shallow ramps perhaps.

Forward of the stern extension it appears to be a standard I563.

Any thoughts?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gladsto ... 1182465683
snoopebj

Re: Stretched Investigator

Post by snoopebj »

Looks like its just us two Peter. That’s the trouble with owning an Investigator everyone’s too busy out there enjoying the sailing to post on the forum......maybe ?
Interesting concept the stretched Investigator. I can see the thinking behind it but personally I have reservations for the reasons you mentioned as well as finding a buyer when re-selling. I go with the philosophy that boats/ cars/bikes are designed and built for a specific purpose and market and altering them to be something else can be expensive in time and money. I’ve noticed other major projects done to the investigator i.e. enlarged cabins etc even a powerboat conversion.
If the boat/bike/car /(partner) does not suit requirements then swap and get the right one for you. Life is too short.

Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I have not experienced significant weather helm with the Investigator, except when flying a seriously over sized genoa. A tight outhaul and letting out the traveller in stronger winds may be the answer.

Agree that major mods will reduce the value of a one-design boat.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I rather like the thought and planning that have gone into this mod. Possibly the owner liked the idea of the rudder mods and extended hull for offshore sailing. The photos indicate a very professional job in any case. For some people the tinkering is as much a part of the hobby as the sailing.

As a callow youth I can remember the urge to add bits to cars as all my mates were doing. Somehow delusional that this would attract the opposite sex maybe heh :shock: these days cars bloody well come with everything or everything they don’t come with is illegal. Where’s the fun in that. At least with boats you can still do changes without getting defected by over zealous Government types or plod.

This change with the rear lazerette and rudder position reminds me of my mates Endeavour 24. It started my interest in sailing as an occasional crew member. It had a floor mounted outboard well though. It was a very well mannered boat in heavy weather.

Be great to compare performance of this modded boat to a standard 563.

Anyway it’s an Investigater it’s got to be good.

Welcome also to Peter. Good to see you’ve joined the sunny side.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I contacted Hendrik about the advertised boat. His stretched Investigator is number 172 and was the last production boat. To mark the end of an era, the deck and cabin were finished in yellow instead of the standard white. A brass plaque with the number 172 was also fixed to the bulkhead and is still in position. The boat was modified by Alister Webb in 2005 to increase the length to 21 feet. The additional hull section did not extend below the waterline and thus didn’t add to the overall waterline length. This was the second boat modified in this manner by Mr Webb. Hendrik is unclear if the first lengthened boat was also an Investigator.
Number 172 is now called Pandora but was originally named Baby Doll. The boat was located on the central north coast of NSW. The photo below shows the craft in its earlier original guise. This boat was previously thought to be 167.
Attachments
investigator-2.jpg
investigator-2.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
Ray
Investigator #39
atles

Post by atles »

;) if you can sail it all good
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

If you’re in contact with Hendrick again Ray tell him to attach an invitation to join the forum to the boat, for the new owner!

Also as per Ian’s post I find the 563 to have minimal ( if at all ) weather helm. As I’ve stated before I like to trim it up with the rudder fixed by bungies and let her sail herself.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

snoopebj wrote:And another one - Investigator 823
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sa ... 823/213314
That is a modified Marauder 27. Looks like they want to piggyback on the good reputation of the Investigator563. The most intersting part of that mod is the conversion to a tiller steer. The wheel steer on the Marauder 27 is IMHO a drawback.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
no way

Post by no way »

Talk about a brumby!
If the designer had decided that a junk rig was the way to go (and people would buy them) he would have designed it that way
Last edited by no way on Sat May 12, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.