Stretched Investigator

General Sailing Talk
no way

Re: Stretched Investigator

Post by no way »

Talk about a brumby!
If the designer thought that a junk rig was the way to go(and that he could sell them) he would have designed it so.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

The text of the ad says that this was purchased as a hull and deck only and designed as a junk rig to suit the hull. Who knows, maybe he had a yarn to Kevin Shepard. I lurk on practical boat owner and have read bits and pieces about junk rigs. This one comes to mind

http://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/bermuda ... -rig-17481

Maybe this dude is onto something :shock:

Anyway, it has an impressive trip log so it must do something right. My investigator looks like junk at the moment, needs a bloody good clean. :)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Looks like allot of thought/experience has gone into this modification. It would be great for long distance cruising safety.

The only thing is the outboard mounted even further out than normal,, more cavitation prone than usual.
Suggest an outboard well in the lazzarette could be possible, a la' James Baldwin http://www.atomvoyages.com/gallery/vide ... rg-30.html

Nice article about the Junk vs bermudan rig ozzie, Junk's certainly have allot of advantages for shorthanded cruising - though like the article says they're 1 in 1000, a rare breed.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
albert

Post by albert »

I have just discovered the site for the forums on the Investigator I modified.
Yes it is the second boat I have modified in the same way. I first saw it undertaken in one of the English yachting magazines many years ago on a very large ocean going yacht, so thought I would carry out the same modification on my Roberts 26 built by myself and already modified and looked nothing like the usual Roberts 25. The extra meter was also a vast improvement on speed with the same sail area.
It is a well known fact that a longer waterline improves the speed, and in both cases this proved correct in my modifications. It also reduced the drag with no turbulence behind the stern.
The wetted rudder surface was exactly the same as the transom hung rudder wetted surface, I made sure of that and the bottom of it is above the bottom of the keel. No trouble launching if one takes care.
I never even thought of resale value, I didn't care. I wanted a fast easy to sail small boat, and in my Investigator I had all I wanted. It even had a flush toilet and a refrigerator and solar battery charging, a large water tank under the cockpit.
When it did come time to sell, the fellow who bought it was looking for all that it had. Pity about the trailer though. It was as good as new and he got that for nothing.
Someone mentioned, "if you haven't got what you want, sell it and buy what you are looking for." Well mate if you are capable, alter what you have into something you want and enjoy doing it and be proud of your achievement.
It works out cheaper in the long run.
albert

Post by albert »

I would like to point out to the chaps puzzled at the reasons for extending the Investigator Pandora when I owned her.
I killed 2 birds with one stone so to speak. An extra meter on the water line gave her a lot more speed and doing away with the transom stern, which always causes a lot of drag. With no drag there is no noise from the washing machine like turbulence aft.
The only slight drawback is the slapping of waves up under the stern when at anchor. But I could live with that being so satisfied with the other benefits.
Anyway she now looks as sleek as the grey hound she is now. There is no production Investigator could catch her.
It was also a challenge I enjoyed undertaking.
albert

Post by albert »

Hi Raya,
Just to inform you and the rest of our readers. The waterline length of Pandora was extended by almost a meter. Hence the increase in speed.
I sailed past a fully rigged investigator at considerable overtaking speed just flying my genoa.
Photos of the work done will shortly be posted on these pages.
When on the trailer, note the dirty water mark on the waterline, it goes all the way to the stern.
Seeing is believing.
DSC00261.JPG
DSC00262.JPG
DSC00268.JPG
DSC00270.JPG
DSC00269.JPG
PB080019.JPG
PB080018.JPG
PB060013.JPG
PB060012.JPG
PB060011.JPG
PB060010.JPG
PB010009.JPG
PB010008.JPG
PA310007.JPG
PA310006.JPG
PA310005.JPG
PA310004.JPG
P1170044.JPG
Lota Creek 008.jpg
Lota Creek 007.jpg
Lota Creek 006.jpg
Extension work.JPG
Boat Lengthened.jpg
Boat extention.jpg
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Just a bit of background for members. I don't think Albert will mind.

Albert responded to my mass mailout advising all members of the current changes.

He joined this forum in 2012, but had forgotten he was a member, having sold Pandora about 8 years ago, after owning her for 20.

He was actually a bit dirty that he couldn't register, as his email address was taken. :)

Albert is 86 years old now. When I see what the customisations he did, and what other forum members have done, I am beyond amazed.

I am a new owner, and a new boatie. I swapped out the halyards and a couple of other lines and felt accomplished. 8-) But then, I have only been out once, on an inland freshwater lake. :lol:

Thanks for contributing Albert. Just shows to go there are no limits.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"