USEFUL STUFFS

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: USEFUL STUFFS

Post by Ozzie »

https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthre ... ated-Meals

I have posted about keeping emergency food on board before, even as safety issue i.e. it’s better to shelter for the night on rations than risk unsafe weather to get home for dinner. Anyway my daughters bought my wife a dehydrator for Xmas a while back and we have not yet used it.

I have been researching stuff on the subject before using the unit and thought this article on BushcraftOz from an experienced dehydraphile, ( Webster can go jump ) might interest members. I’m in the process of restocking Spritz with rations and although you can buy this stuff at Colesworths where’s the fun in that. Also this stuff takes up very little room and requires only boiling water to cook which is a specialty of mine. Note storage times may be limited for some stuff.

Bushcraft Oz is quite a good site. Apart from being Australian it has lots of interesting reading for any outdoor activity minded persons , like us . If you’ve thought of dehydration but don’t have a unit ours is Aldi, which come on every year and I’d imagine on gumtree or fleabay a bit too at reduced price. Apparently dehydrated cream bun doesn’t work :roll: curses.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

ALDI on Saturday 9 have their annual caravan sale with folding buckets etc , handy for space saving but thought the solar panel may be of interest to forum members.
88AABCBA-2182-4FAB-A798-B660B83FAEBC.jpeg
88AABCBA-2182-4FAB-A798-B660B83FAEBC.jpeg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
They also have the various controllers and adapters on sale.

No personal experience with this one as I have a portable panel I got with my caravan that I take out to top the battery up. WW have much smaller panels for not much less money so these may be good value. I’m not up on panel structure so do a bit of homework. But the more ALDI gear I have bought and used over the years leaves me fairly confident in recommending their stuff. Their quality control is fairly good.

Anybody on here used Aldi solar stuff?

Addenda: I recall some on tsp said there are cheap panels available on fleabay and similar suppliers but I’m not convinced solar panels are are good candidates for parcel post. Call me old fashioned .
Last edited by Ozzie on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outdated reference
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

I bought a 180w (2x 90w) fold up solar panel about 5 years ago for not much money off ebay. I sit it in the cockpit flat(ish) along the floor and clip it into my 55ah deep cycle battery in the seat locker. Id have to go outside to confirm but I’m pretty sure it’s a 7amp charger that came glued to the back of them.Always keeps it topped up. Having said that the wiring supplied with it was rubbish so I spent another $30 at Jaycar to replace that.

I’ve got plans (way down the list) to make a mount off the back of the boat so I can have the panel up while cruising for extended periods.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

ALDI BOAT GEAR. SATURDAY 6 NOVEMBER

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... -november/

Certain supermarket will be doing its summer boat special buys. Seems somewhat less than usual this time maybe, but I assume they base this on what sold snd did not sell last time.

There are 12 million plastic meerkats probably being used for landfill right now for that reason :shock:

Has anyone bought the big rechargeable spotlights before?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

9D3480E8-A925-42B0-A3F9-45E0E42C72C7.jpeg
Notice WW have these jet lighters at half price in their current quarterly specials. This is Hot Devil brand which also sells at super creep where I got mine. They are great for terminating coremantle rope or similar cordage and work well in moderate breezes well above what ordinary lighters will do. Heatshrinking can be done with care. With a bit of copper electrical cable held in a pair of pliers you could even do I bit of basic soldering Only downside is it’s sometimes hard to see the blue flame in sunlight....just stick your finger in the ...no hang on...maybe not. :shock:

It’s worth checking the WW specials every time they change as the savings are usually substantial.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

April 2nd Aldi has a range of camping stuff some of which is probably relevant to Investigators. The solar panels and battery stuff again and also a solar pole charger that might suit overnights. Only thing we have experience with is the bug zapper/ light which we bought similar if not from the same manufacturer from Anaconda and use in the motorhome. Works ok .
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

WW have their new Super Specials for this quarter out now so worth looking at as I said the specials are sometimes quite good. I have bought the stainless tie downs previously. They are not long/strong enough for strapping down the 563 but great for holding masts etc to the rails in transit or in my case the tender. $20, $10 below regular price.
BA25E157-E4AF-457B-BF09-EBBC31C34602.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

If you do not have a swaging tool for your rigging run, do not walk to a Road Tech Marine near you to get the discontinued 600mm tool …reduction as per the ad !!! Might get one myself at that price , my modified monster bolt cutters are getting a bit heavy in my old age.
94CE17CF-19FC-4C94-BD81-2FFA2F5C6E96.jpeg
That is still in their web page , I’ll be surprised if they last long , even the earlier post on 600mm swage tools in this thread was $89 on special.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Already all gone. :(
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Watto