USEFUL STUFFS

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

USEFUL STUFFS

Post by Ozzie »

With Ian’s permission I’d like to start a thread on useful stuff I’ve come across relative to Investigating/sailing/boating. No affiliations and the usual disclaimers but I like to know of useful stuff that’s at the right price and if you come across anything please share.

Not mentioning Aldi Cree torches again :D Emrys is the chief promoter now :lol: but I have just bought the Aldi gaffer style tape again...50 m for I think it’s $5 . It’s simply called workzone adhesive tape.

I have had a few rolls of this now and it’s is excellent value for money . It sticks so well it is even hard to remove the residual adhesive after you do get it off. A nuisance you would say, but I’ve had crappy duct tape for years that nearly won’t even stick to itself. So I think if your trying to do temp repairs with tape you want the strongest stick you can and this stuff is brilliant. I bought two rolls one black and one grey. I still have 20% of a roll of white from last year. Great for termination of synthetic rope if you don’t have heat handy too.

The rabbit sells bear brand for $11 for only 20 m.

I also bought the triple pack of masking tape but I have not used it yet so no recommendations.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: USEFUL STUFFS

Post by Raya »

I've found my Tide Clock to be most useful.
Set to the local boat ramp, it shows the state of the tide at a glance. No need to look up tables or jump on the internet.
There are plenty of different types on ebay, but I chose the simplest.
Attachments
Tide Clock.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

I like it. Simple is good.
What size is it and have you got a website link and price please Ray.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

The clock has a 200 mm diameter face. It was from a seller on Ebay for around $60. I can't see the same listing now, but if you type tide clock in ebay, there are plenty to choose from.
Ray
Investigator #39
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Thanks Ray.

Emrys
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

https://www.bunnings.com.au/oates-18l-r ... t_p4467670

I use two or three of these joined together and slid either side underneath the cockpit floor. They fit perfectly with the handles facing inwards. I store my non perishable food/cans/bottles etc on the stbd side and pots/pans/ cooking utensils and stove on the port side.
I’ve tried a few different storage ideas but find these the best on a trip. They are very tough and easy to carry on and off the boat and give me more room in the cabin. Almost enough room to swing a cat. It does hit its head on the bulkhead though.
(only kidding cat lovers)

Emrys
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Strangely not many bites on this interesting topic Ozzie.
So finally I’ll mention the three most useful stuffs I have bought and used for the last few years.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/oceansout ... -cover-kit
Size 1.7 - 1.9 cat #14244
Bought eight years ago and used almost every trip gives great shelter from sun and rain and perfect fit on the Investigator. I sometimes even sail with it up (boom on highest mast setting).

https://www.whitworths.com.au/raymarine ... ller-pilot
Used this for the past five years and wondered how I ever sailed without it. Takes the drudgery out of long passages i.e. Hawkesbury, Myalls Broadwater and offshore.
Easy to use, lets you hoist sails solo whie keeping you to windward. And will even tack for you.
I can stow all sails, bimini, all deck gear whilst motoring to ramp saving time in car park.
Two big safety issues however.
Use safety harness when sailing solo cos you don’t want to go overboard with tiller pilot on. Goodbye boat and cruel world. :o
Watch out for pesky kyaks camouflaged on the water I almost got me one on Yowie bay Port Hacking. I was down below ‘doing something’ and happened to look through forward hatch window- never moved so fast in my life and missed him by inches. :oops:

Finally
Boating Australia&NZ HD by Navionics
Used this on my ipad and has got me out of many tricky situations. Very detailed charts with all tide and depth information. Just make sure your ipad has gps on board. Navionics do charge yearly subscription of $13.99 after initial $84.99 Not a biggie iimho for what you get.(with continual updates).
Had some bad reviews but those were for early buggy versions - latest works well.

P.S I have no affiliation with these products or companies etc.

Anyone out there with more useful stuffs?

Emrys
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I note Whitworths have the parrot beak wire cutters on their special price list for this quarter. I have had a pair for years , bought to do my standing rigging but always in my sail bag for emergencies which I hope never happen. They are fine for Investigator size rigging.
$25 down from $36
WW CUTTERS
WW CUTTERS
C8DECC8B-A392-4AF7-B27E-085E81BF9A2A.jpeg (20.21 KiB) Viewed 8963 times
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Right on Ozzie A dissmasting not a pleasant experience and essential to cut away rigging quickly - no crash bag should be without one.

After dissing kayakers in my previous post I have to say that this inflatable kayak I bought a few years ago has been ideal for my trips on the Investigator. It opens up a whole new experience of trailer sailing. You can go ashore in minutes/ explore creeks and paddle to other boats. I tried a friends’ inflatable kayak and was amazed how practical and comfortable these are and bought one immediately. The Sevylor k1 is very stable and can cover surprising distances without the fiddling around and unreliability of tenders and outboards. It stores easily in the Investigators locker behind my esky and the double action hand pump inflates in minutes. Sevylor K1 is tough pvc with decent fittings and good paddle that stores away to a compact size. Although not meant for open waters it is not a toy and has three main air compartments. Talking to other users the double inflatables not as stable better having one each for couples. (Not that I don’t trust the missus’ paddling expertise of course)
One snag - the old Sevylor K1 I bought in bcf no longer available. Plenty available on Amazon but unsure if they now post here to Australia.
Found this more expensive local version. Kayak Sevylor k1 Quickpak. Looks like good value though as it comes with pump carrier bag and free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/inflatable-KAY ... Sw~O1a5jwW
https://www.topratedseller.com/ebay/clintsskischool
Last edited by snoopebj on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emrys
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

38514E4C-AA49-4694-8C7B-59C7AD4EC58B.jpeg

Kinchrome have a sale on now at participating stockists which I don’t think included bunny’s .

They have two swaging tools the larger of which I think would be suited to Investigator rigging . I think this may be a good price, it certainly is compared to whitworths. There are cheaper unbranded swage tools on fleabay but quality would be sus .

I have a swage tool made from an old pair of monster bolt cutters, use them quite a bit.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)