This site coming up with warning!!!

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

This site coming up with warning!!!

Post by Ozzie »

Just noticed the last two times ive logged on, as soon as I start typing my name in the login window I get a “SITE NOT SECURE” warning in my address window . I’ve ignored this and kept going . I remember when I had the CJB SITE for the Investigator people used to get that warning as well although I never did even when viewing it as a visitor so I think it has something to do with the system checks you have set on your browser BUT wondering if anyone else is getting funny messages.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: This site coming up with warning!!!

Post by Raya »

I get this message if I forget to exit my VPN. Was a bit worried the first time I saw it.
Attachments
Message.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Ray,

I don’t have a VPN but these things like my security warning are all generated by computer code or algorithms or agro*#$$# rhythms or some such tosh. Mostly there is no human intervention so there may be no problem other than GIGO.

If you look at my post from way back on stocking up with emergency food I took a pic of my food supply neatly arranged on my kitchen bench and posted it using tinypic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=469&p=2230&hilit=Food#p2230

Next thing I know my IP address is permanently banned for using tinypic for commercial purposes :evil: WTF. Clearly a computer scanned my pic , saw the label on my rolled oats and baked beans and gave me the royal order of the sailing shoe. Even though I’d really done nothing wrong.

How hard/ costly is it to set up a VPN.?

I don’t down load Disney movies or anything else that would get me sued but I’m sick of targeted advertising. Being a user of deal extreme I once looked around to see if there was any other good Asian discount sites. There was. I looked at a pair of cargo pants on one site and moved on . The bloody add followed me around the net for months. I would not of minded but the site is called BangGood :shock: :shock: and it was on the add in big letters.

True story. :oops: what VPN would you recommend?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I use Avast VPN. (I have used their free virus software for many years and think that it is better than most others, including the ones you pay for.) The VPN costs around $40 a year, but is cheaper if you sign up for three years. You can log on to servers all over the world. It is a little slower using the VPN, but not enough to worry about. I've used Avast VPN for around 6 months and so far so good. You can install and use it on a few (I think 3) devices at once.
Ray
Investigator #39
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

When I tried to stop the spammers I started banning based on their IP addresses. However it got too hard and I gave up. You might be unfortunate enough to drop onto one of those.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I think tinypic banned me because they only have the service available for private users. Maybe commercial users can pay for the service. In any case they don’t seem to have a human check to see what the use of the pic has been or give you a chance to explain. But it is free service so I suppose that’s life. I’ve never gone back since, maybe they’ve forgiven me ;)

For the record I’ve logged on tonight on my iPhone but still on my home wifi again and no warnings are coming up. 24 hours is a long time in cyberspace :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hello all I still lurk here as a regular reader.

The reason I think you get this message is because the board site software on their servers has not been set up to run HTTPS. Most sites, and browsers globally today have moved (require) (to) this secure system, I know because I maintain a work site and was required to make the adjustments. Currently the way this site is set up is just plain HTTP and so when you go to login, browsers recognise this and send the warningmessage. The site hosting system is out of date and they are the ones to fix it. Little you can do otherwise.

BTW I just moved to the dark side, Tasman 26 keel boat, and love it as much as my original investigator.

Best

Mark
Batemans Bay
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Yes, the site software is way out of date, but I dont have the know how to fix it. Still looking for a volunteer to help..
Running a business single handed, plus current health problems, so no time or energy for that or sailing.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara