Rudder Gudgeon Replacement

General Sailing Talk
PetrusP

Rudder Gudgeon Replacement

Post by PetrusP »

Hi everyone! my first post on the i563 forum. I'm a relatively new i563 owner and currently working on some repairs to get my boat sea worthy.

One of the many things I need to look at repairing / replacing is my rudder gudgeon due to wear around the gudgeon holes... Has anybody here undertaken a similar repair? does anybody know where I'll be able to purchase the right replacement??

Thanks in advance!

Petrus Pretorius
Attachments
Rudder 11.jpg
Yara50

Re: Rudder Gudgeon Replacement

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome Petrus
There may be a part code on the gudgeon. They were Riley fittings I think. You can google the number.
Otherwise you may be able to get a bronze sleeve made up.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Petrus,

Welcome from me. (When you get a chance, let the forum know a bit more about your boat.)

The gudgeon fitting is a Ronstan RF 905 which is long out of production. There doesn't appear to be a direct replacement in the current Ronstan range. There was a replacement part, RF 2505, but this part seems to have disappeared as well.

A solution would be to remove the fitting and have it repaired at a fabrication shop. The tubing is S/S so it shouldn't be too hard to weld in a replacement section.
Ray
Investigator #39
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Also welcome from me Petrus . You might give Keely Marine a ring (number is on forum here just search) they may have an equivalent or put you onto somewhere that does. Can't hurt to try.

Good luck .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
PetrusP

Post by PetrusP »

Hi Ian, Ray and Ozzie - Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I managed to find a similar part online RM589 on the Riley site. Not a perfect replacement, but with minimum modification of my rudder I think I should be able to make it work.

Thanks for the prompt responses and advise, will let you guys know it goes :). As for my boat, I really don't know much about her. I bought her from an elderly couple in Maryborough Qld - her previous owners only had her for a little while, and couldn't give me any information about her history. I've registered her as 'Clever Girl' but after sanding down the stern of the vessel its revealed what I think could be Tarrewa -- but it's impossible to know for sure as the letters are incomplete and faded. My sails are not original and so their numbers don't provide any help in identifying where she falls in the production order. My hull identification plate reads "AU - WWA035399 - AB7" but i can't find out what that actually means...

So far I've taken her out four times, the last being getting caught in a nasty storm south east of Moreton Island - thankfully she stayed upright and held together and I'm currently working on getting her into proper ship shape before taking her out again... currently working on repainting her and replacing deck fittings / repairing and restoring damaged worn parts. Hoping to be out again soon to Whale watch

Here's a few shots of current work

Petrus Pretorius
Attachments
Side Sanding.jpg
Clever Girl front.jpg
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Clever Girl made an appearance on this forum when she was called Peachy Pie. This is what she looked like then. You can do a search to find the original thread.
Attachments
Peachy Pie 1A - 320 x 240.jpg
Peachy Pie 1A - 320 x 240.jpg (82.85 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Ray
Investigator #39
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hi Petrus, belated welcome

My investigator is an early one. I had a lower gudgeon develop fatigue cracks, got it TIG welded at a local engineering firm. The engineer thought that the fitting should be stronger for cruising..so next time it cracks up, will probably get a stronger 2mm gudgeon/pintle fabricated.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
PetrusP

Post by PetrusP »

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd give you an update on the Gudgeon replacement. My order for the Riley RM589 arrived the other day and has turned out to be a perfect replacement. Please see a few photos below of how it compares to the original.

Cost of the Gudgeon (x2) came to around $80+$15 postage. So there you go if anybody has a similar issue in the future :) - thanks everyone who contributed to solutions.

Happy Sailing
Attachments
Pic2.jpg
Pic1.jpg
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North
Terry.S

Post by Terry.S »

Hi petrus.. we met at bribie, possibly on yor maiden launch. Sounds like you are hooked on the investigator refurbishment program .. a very worthwhile project. Good to hear you are getting out on the water.. maybe we can get out together with rich's " sky bird " and mine sometime. It would be something to see, 3 I 563's out for a sail after all these years ... terry. narangba.. # 126
PetrusP

Post by PetrusP »

Hi Terry! I remember! Great to hear from you, once she's back into shape I'll definately be keen :)
Petrus Pretorius

Investigator 563 #unknown 'Clever Girl'
Brisbane North