General Sailing Talk
PeterY

Post by PeterY »

Hello everyone,
My name is Peter Yates and thanks to Ian, I have joined your forum.

I have just bought my 16th TS (over 40 years) and it is my third I563. Needless to say, boat types vary as life circumstances change, but clearly at various stages, I have found the I563 to be very suitable. They are just a good design as you all know!

I am mainly a potterer and often a solo sailor. My wife does sail with me but not very keen unless conditions are perfect and anyway we have two pet greyhounds and we don't leave them for more than about 6 hours!

I don't know the history of this one, but I bought it in Highett Victoria and I think it was owned there for a few years before I bought it. It came without a name and after much deliberation, I abandoned the idea of a detective name and called her "TRICKSY". If anyone is interested I will explain the name at a later date, but being a newbie I will keep this a bit brief. I believe she is number 004 (at least that is the number on the mainsail), so a very early one still in white gelcoat and very well kept.

Previous boats were "SHERLOCK" AND "PRIVATE EYE".

Haven't wet this one yet as I am waiting on decent inner marine axle seals to keep the bearings in order.

I also own a delightful little CAL14 called GYPSY. In theory I need to sell GYPSY now, but she is such a nice boat, I will hang onto her as long as the treasurer allows.

I live between Melbourne and Bendigo, so a long way from any water. Main destination is the Gippsland Lakes where we have just bought a small holiday house.

Looking forward to joining your discussions.

Cheers,

Peter
Yara50

Re: Newbie

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome, Peter.

WRT bearing seals, hope you are getting the spring loaded oil type seals, rather than what are called "marine" type but are hopeless. Even the normal seals are better.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
PeterY

Post by PeterY »

No they are normal seals designed for grease. The difference is that they are fixed to the axle, not spinning on it. They spin in a stainless steel cup tapped into the inner face of the hub. I have had them on Gypsy's trailer with no problems at all and the trailer has done many kms and had many dunkings as the CAL draws almost as much as the I563.

There is a big thread on TSP about axle seals and a couple of the experienced guys put me onto these. So far I am sold on them.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I have the opposite experience. Seals "fixed" to the axles just spun out, and failed badly.

Anyway Peter, actually you are our member no20, dating back to 2009! Interestingly the software accepted your email address with no problems.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Peter, Welcome to the forum.
I doubt that there have been many members who have owned three Investigators.
Number 4 was Phil Carr's boat. From the pictures I have seen, it seemed a very fine craft indeed. It was previously called "Seabreese Osprey" before being renamed "Solitaire". If you search on these names in the forum, you will fill in a bit of her history.
Ray
Investigator #39
PeterY

Post by PeterY »

Finally found the time and weather to do a little shake-down at Lake Eppalock near Bendigo today. The boat tows well and en-route I put it over the weigh-bridge in Kyneton. Not sure what the towball download is - perhaps 50-80kgs. by the feel of it, but the rest of it came in at 1,180kgs. That is with sails, life jackets and not much more on board. The Territory consumed 12l/100kms for the 130kms at the speed limit.

With the mast-raising gear, I rigged and launched in less than an hour solo. I expect to halve that eventually. The boat launched and retrieved easily even on the shallow ramp at Bendigo Yacht Club.

I tried the 5HP Mercury that came with the boat and it was great, having both internal and external tanks and the luxury of F-N-R gears. Flat out I saw 5.8 knots and at half throttle it made 5 knots which is about hull speed. I then tried the 2.3HP Honda 4 stroke from Gypsy. It managed almost 5 knots flat out and cruised at 4.5 knots. So both are quite usable.

Wind was only 5-10 knots and managed a best speed of 4.5 knots which was quite acceptable. Needless to say, as I retrieved the boat the wind built up to a nice 10-15 knots which would have been really nice.

Only a couple of very minor teething issues and overall very happy with my third Investigator.

Post by snoopebj »

Congrats Peter on a fine looking boat.
Nice to have new blood here especially with your experience of trailer sailing.
I believe I have come across your posts in past years on the “other” website with interesting and balanced information regarding the Investigator. It almost seemed as if we had to have a referendum to be recognised as Investigator sailors on that site !
Looking forward to more of your sailing stories and photos.
Great to see you have defected from the dark side.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
PeterY

Post by PeterY »

Just back from 2 weeks at Raymond Island. Got the boat set up on it's jetty nicely. Weather was great for the most part and we had four good sails in winds varying up to about 18 knots. Could have sailed more but needed to also spend time in the rowing skiff and also some dog walking and socializing. We were lucky enough to get some photos of us sailing taken from another boat by friends on a hired cruiser.

The boat came with 3 good jibs and a good main with 2 sets of jiffy reefing lines.

Using the Speedpuck we were able to accurately determine her speed. With any wind over about 8 knots she managed 5 knots and the best we saw was 6.5 knots.

The boat had been set up so that the two smaller jibs were sheeted inside the shrouds with the big jib outside. I guess she pointed a tad better with the smaller jibs, but not too bad with any of them.

Our first sail was in 12-18 knots with the medium jib and full main. Had to ease a bit in the gusts but very comfortable ride and circumnavigated Raymond Island in less than 2 hours. The bigger jib seems to be good up to about 12 knots and the small jib(see picture) needed at least 12 knots of wind and would probably be OK up to the mid 20's with a suitably reefed main. Not as much weather helm as I remembered from my previous two I563's.

Retrieved the boat after two weeks in the water without anti-fouling. Just the barest start of baby barnacles which washed off really easily but I would not have wanted to leave her in the water too much longer.

Very happy with the boat overall.
Attachments
IMG_4225.jpg
atles

Post by atles »

:D good to see others having fun welcome!!
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Sounds like a great trip Peter. Much more adventurous with your sail changes than me. I’m very much a furler/reefer type - lazy I guess. i had to check my map to find Raymond island being a Northener and surprised to find it on the Gippsland lakes. Talking to other t.s. sailors it often comes up as their favourite sailing place. Must try and get down there some time.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'