Floods, water and mold.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Floods, water and mold.

Post by Ozzie »

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-03- ... youre.html

Hope everyone is ok after these current devastating floods and rains particularly in Qld and Nth Nsw. Emrys comments earlier on the mold issues he found made me do some reading on the subject. Check your boat for excess mold. While it looks unsightly, it can cause you health issues. I’m fairly lucky as my boat gets baked in the hot sun and fanned in the daily winds on the mooring. It has enough air leaks around the companion way hatch that mold is rarely an issue like it was on my old Swiftcaft cruiser. I kept the moisture removing little buckets with the crystals in them on the swifty but have not found them necessary on Spritzig II.

Has anyone fitted the solar powered extraction vents WW sell . Pricey but look ok.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Floods, water and mold.

Post by Andrew »

So far no mould in Teria. Its kept dry in backyard under a tarp. Usually keep the cabin and locker hatches open, if it looks like allot of rain i put the lower hatchboard in, lower foward hatch to 4" open and close cockpit lockers. Close it right up for heavy Thunderstorm forecasts, usually not too many days.

We use white vinegar in a garden sprayer. (for interior fibreglass and wood) each season or so hit the exterior with a gurney hp jet.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Andrew, that's excellent news. The main thing of course is Ventilation, so as long as you can get air flowing right through the boat, there is a good chance of avoiding the dreaded mold. Another help for people could be a fan set up inside the boat with a timer so that it circulated air on a regular basis, but it still needs access to outside air. Of course, generally to set up a fan, I am talking about with the boat stored at home with access to power.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Keeping that airflow throughout is the key. and keeping the air dry as practical too.

I'm lucky as a 5-10 knot seabreeze comes through most days ( from NE, E or SE) and the suburb us low density flatland old style to let the breeze through. The boat happens to be parked in th open so the main hatch faces East and catches most breezes.
But its protected above from rain by the tarp.

The fan on timer would be great for times and places when theres no wind blowing.

Those are terrible floods this year. Hope your streets are not inundated. At least a TS can be moved to higher ground or perhaps become a useful lifeboat in an emergency.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hope the weather's been kind lately. Our la-nina boosted tropical wet season is nearly over :D ,

A couple months ago realised my sails stored in the boat's cabin were starting to get a bit mouldy. :(

So cleaned them off with vinegar solution, scrubing brush and sunlight. several months ago decided to trial storing sails inside our airconditioned house. It seems to do the trick as the de-humidified air of the house greatly inhibits any mould growth.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Perfect solution Andrew. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

"Mould season" seems to be over up on the NE coast!

The SE trade winds/dry has set in :) (No rain here, a few showers elsewhere)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria