This small boat is very impressive

General Sailing Talk
Tenaciousgreen

This small boat is very impressive

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Whilst I have had my Investigator a long time, I have only been sailing her for about 6 weeks. Today, in strong offshore winds, sailing with full main and No.2 jib I pushed her a little harder just off Mandurah's coastline.

As can be seen from the track information from my Navionics app, during todays 2 hr sail, she really surprised me with her speed and more impressively her stability and pointing ability, especially as mine has no drop keel.

I have been crew on a racing 27ft Keelboat over the last few weeks and realised that I had been a little over cautious on sailing Christy and today just reinforced this realisation.

The Investigator really is an impressive little boat that I am finally fully enjoying and I reckon as my sail trimming gets better and I make a few improvements to sail controls, she will perform better still.
Attachments
20170117_205644-334x399.png
20170117_205644-334x399.png (21.25 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
atles

Re: This small boat is very impressive

Post by atles »

:D the investigator is a blast of fun !!!
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

Couldn't agree more! Good work getting that 6.2 knots - that's flying! 8-)

Also use I that Navionics app - recommend it highly!
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Nice one Rich
My exact same experience with this beaut littlle boat.
I've been more scared crewing on large keel boats offshore in mild weather than on the Investigator in a half storm. It's all down to preparation and approach. I've harped on here always about beefing up the Investigator but only because I believe it to be the best designed T/S for limited offshore sailing.
Hats off again to Kevin Shepherd
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Your dead right, Snoop!

For me coastal offshore sailing was always the plan and its great to see her perform so well in such conditions. As for beefing her up, the two main things I will/would do to extend her offshore sailing ability is provide further mast step support and seal the cockpit lockers. As of now though, day sailing off the coast doesn't require any further alterations, as long as your realistic about the weather conditions you go out in.

Tuesday was such a great day, 16kts of wind gusting up to 18-19kts and Christy did not heel more than 15 degrees, generally sitting at about 5 degrees on an close reach, with full main and no2 jib. I've seen bigger keel boats struggling to limit weather helm in such conditions. Brilliant!
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Full main , no2 is my preferred rig also Rich. I don't normally test myself or the boat out as we mainly sail for enjoyment but when the situation has arisen the boat has not yet let me down other than a failure of the hanks once, which was just an overlooked maintenance item.

When I first moored the 563 yonks ago the adjacent mooring was held by a former Investigator owner who had retired to a large power boat. His comment that the 563 was the only Ts he'd feel happy taking out through Swansea heads instilled me with confidence in the design . Not that I'm likely to do that but when things get hairy on Lake Mac it's nice to think we will get home in one piece.

I'm reasonably happy with my beefed up hatch security now for foul weather. It's the only real minor glitch on what is otherwise a beaut little sailboat.

Fair winds, more stories please. :)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)