Finally, my adventure can begin!

General Sailing Talk
Tenaciousgreen

Finally, my adventure can begin!

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

After 3 long years since I acquired my Investigator, she is finally all but finished after a major refurb, hampered by my glass back and 3 spinal operations. Whilst I face the prospect of further surgery next year, I have managed to get her to the stage of being able to use her, and that I will do, hopefully starting tomorrow here in Mandurah, WA.

I hope you guys will visit and view my introductory video which I have just uploaded to https://youtu.be/nLtHwJbmSAU
(Excuse the sniffling - terrible cold combined with hayfever!)

I will endeavour to get some footage when I launch her, mast raised and outboard fitted. I only have my phone for footage at the moment, but am hoping Santa might bring me a GoPro which will improve the footage and presentation.

Enjoy :D
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Yara50

Re: Finally, my adventure can begin!

Post by Yara50 »

Looks nice Rich.
Just a word of caution. Given your glass back, I recommend you get someone else to handle the motor on and off the bracket. I can only just manage mine on my own, and my back is OK (for now!)
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Thanks Ian, i have made an outboard trolley on castors which I wheel under the OB bracket, then I get my 1st mate of the day to help me. It only has to be lifted 30cm. Unfortunately due to my back, there is no chance of sailing single handed.

Anyway, got out this morning for a couple of hours, great sail off Mandurah, until the 'doctor' kicked in and I dropped number 2 jib and sailed back main only. Surprised how easy she sails and chuffed with reaching 5 1/2 knots with the motor leg down!

See https://youtu.be/QIx1uO5f1xs for a short mobile clip I took.

I am a bit rusty, but just enjoyed getting out there.
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
atles

Post by atles »

Hi Rich, nice boat mate ! the green looks good !

have fun sailing her.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Well done mate. the British racing green looks champion, hope you get a Union Jack in there sometime soon.

Enjoy your sailing. I have been living with crushed vertebra since my thirties and though it is a nuisance, I have adapted to using levers, wheels, pulleys and other forms of mechanical help whenever I can. Most importantly there is no shame in asking for help when something is beyond you. The great aussie male tradition of "I can lift anything or shift anything" has warts on it and leads to slipped disks, hernias and sprains galore . We only get one body and need look after it.

Looking forward to seeing posts on your sailing adventures.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)