Investigator on a non tilt trailer?

General Sailing Talk
dalebowes

Investigator on a non tilt trailer?

Post by dalebowes »

I previously owned #156 which now resides in Tasmania. I miss her very much and I'm looking at buying another.
This one...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wyoming/ ... 1127246950
has caught my eye and I'm very interested. BUT... she sits on a new non tilt trailer. I'm wondering if this is going to be a major problem when launching as I always used the tilt on my last investigator and I don't like the idea of having to submerge the trailer every time. Does anyone else have one on a non tilt trailer? ... Any thoughts? ....
Also seems to lack keel guides, but thats fixable.
cheers
Dale
Previously owned #156
Yara50

Re: Investigator on a non tilt trailer?

Post by Yara50 »

I have occassionally neglected to drop the tilt and she does tend to ride up nicely on the long tapered keel. However, if you dont dip the trailer deep enough, there will be a point where the boat has most of its weight sitting on one roller, and that could possibly damage the keel. This is known on Careel 18s, but I havent heard of damage to I563s, but then most are on tilt trailers.
I note that modern trailers tend to have grouped rollers on a pivoting frame instead of a single rear roller, so this trailer might have that feature.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I tend to only use the tilt facility if the water at the ramp is a bit shallow, otherwise I just submerge the trailer. Keel guides are very handy IMHO. And I should also add that my tow vehicle is an FG Falcon Ute.

I just checked out your link - having a nice modern boat trailer would add peace of mind.
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Post by Mark »

In 5 years never used the tilt until recently when I accidentally activated it! For 3 years it was jammed fast anyway. I submerge to sufficient depth and its no problem. No damage. O do control the lunch with a good guideline.

Best

Mark