Afloat , in the wake of Cook and the wake of idiots.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Afloat , in the wake of Cook and the wake of idiots.

Post by Ozzie »

Given the crepe weather we had a few weeks back I had been viewing Lake Mac mostly from the safety of the bar at the 16' sailing club around at Belmont. The other day I picked up a hard copy of AFLOAT magazine from the reception desk . Have not read it for a while and forgot how good it is particularly for a free publication . It is also, I keep forgetting, online at

afloat.com.au.

Current issue has a good write up on small sailing craft including TSs and although the 563 does not get a mention it's nice to see any mention of TSs at all. The great Webb Chiles also gets a look in with this article. There is also a great story on Cpt. James Cook and how diet contributed to why he was such a successful explorer which rather surprised me, the diet bit that is.

You forget what a brilliant navigator and commander he was. After our glacier cruise up the inside passage off Alaska a few years back we chartered a small floatplane and flew out of Anchorage over the Chugach mountains , snowbound even in summer. On the coastal return leg the pilot pointed out all of the features named after or by Cook and the Endeavour. My primary school history came back to me again. You associate him so much with the Pacific and the discovery of Aus you forget his other achievements in examining this far flung and inhospitable area. Anyway, I recommend the site and that particular article to you if you like sailing history.
Imagine sailing a square rigger into this for the first time.
Imagine sailing a square rigger into this for the first time.
For those of you who may not be familiar with "Afloat" all back issues are now available online back to the Menzies administration ...well almost. It's all local stuff too so it beats O.S. sites.

In the Afloat letters section, a subject that is still cropping up almost every issue is the annoyance of recreational boaters at the danger and disturbance of wakes created by large power boats . A nuisance on Lake Macquarie but clearly a real safety issue now on Sydney Harbour and the Hawkesbury. This is a constant bug in forums and occasionally in cruising helmsman. I think RMS need a rocket stuck in their collective nether regions to crack down on this. Personally I've been buffeted and lost footing and once had a cleat being used for a raft up torn out by large power boat wakes. Not to mention countless spilt drinks. These vessels were designed for fast offshore passage making not mixing it in close with Investigator 563s, canoes, kayaks and sensitive shorelines. Write your relevant minister.

Ooh, I think I see the sun ...Naah!
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)