Yachting deaths at Port Stephens

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Yachting deaths at Port Stephens

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-04/t ... le/6751152

No doubt most of you will have been aware of this story.

It is a timely reminder of the dangers of winter sailing. As discussed in a few other forums even with a pfd you can still be in big trouble in winter immersion . ."Cold water incapacitation "is going to be a problem long before Hypothermia. Without a pfd you won't live long enough to get HT.

http://beyondcoldwaterbootcamp.com/4-ph ... -immersion

There are a few discussions on tsp if you do a search
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Re: Yachting deaths at Port Stephens

Post by Yara50 »

Pretty sad story. It does emphasise the need to make sure your boat and crew are ready to face whatever the weather will throw at you, once you poke your bow out into the open sea.

Did not see any comments on TSP. Were you thinking Seabreeze?

My guess is they were too close inshore, and that can throw up breaking seas as the bottom shallows. Add darkness, fatigue, age of crew, age of boat, and maybe companionway boards open. We will never know.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
atles

Post by atles »

thanks ozzie for posting i enjoyed it always some thing new to learn
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... ia#p108380

Found HT thread on TSP. This was a while back before I left. A few topics discussed about drowning etc.

This site has lots of stuff about safety at sea. I first discovered it researching the Sydney Hobart disaster.

http://www.equipped.org/sydney-hobart/default.htm

Makes you realise that even with state of the art ( at the time ) rafts and the works the open sea can be the undoing of even the best prepared . The rafts proved woefully inadequate and the guy who runs this site was a US advocate of their much needed improvement.

There is a lot of good reading on this site. U.S. Centric but universal message of the need to take marine safety seriously.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hello all, just bumping this thread as we are now in wintertime or close enough . Winter sailing on Lake Mac is great and I love it but for anyone new to winter sailing remember hypothermia is not the worst problem if you fall in. Cold water incapacitation can take you (right) out long before you get hypothermia. Also remember a person so affected may not even be able to help get themselves back aboard.

As I plough through my sixties I’m doing my best to keep fit and active but be aware of what limitations I now have. As our demographic here is slanted my way I think you need to adjust your preparations to suite your abilities. I added a full boarding ladder last haul out because it’s just getting harder and harder to get out of the water using the taffrail and the built in notches in the stern. Not so long ago it seemed a snack :(

Just a thought.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-04/ ... /100266726

I am bumping this thread again just to mention that the terrible tragedy in today’s news highlights the dangers of winter boating. Cold water incapacitated persons don’t survive long enough to get hypothermia and in conjunction with our recent mob thread it’s all worth keeping in mind at the moment. Currently NSW water temp according to BOM is 16 to 17. Or in layman’s terms bloody cold.

Further to the mob thread, while cleaning up today I found my late dad’s notes from the Coastguard Seamanship course he did back in 1988. One of the things mentioned in the abandon ship section or even donning PFD to fight a fire was to put on woollen clothing in anticipation of being immersed for some time, regardless of the season. Really I suppose anytime you put on a PFD due to conditions changing, warm clothing or something that will keep you warm when immersed should go on with it. As Andrew said, he always has a wetsuit soloing in cold water.

In a modern world with cotton/polyester “fleecy” sloppy joes and the like I don’t think I own anything wool anymore other than my thermal merino base layers and I don’t wear them on the boat. Fleece substitute in the water would be as useless as a white crayon. I do carry a wetsuit in winter sometimes but usually only if I’m going to need to go into the water for maintenance reasons, not emergencies and my wife only has warm jackets and tracksuit. May look at getting some wool permanently on the boat.

It would be interested to hear everybody’s take on this and what you have extra on your Investigator for cold weather sailing.

This thread has some relevance also.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=734&p=3834&hilit=Pants#p3834
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Tragic boating accident Ozzie. That’s our local walking beach at Bellambi. Saw the search choppers yesterday. A sheltered boat ramp but once out from the little breakwater you’re in open ocean with a treacherous reef to the south. I have sailed here in the Investigator from Port Kembla ramp but important choosing the right day/conditions. These poor fishos went out at night and there have been big seas recently. Common practice here as well as rock fishing. Can’t be judgemental towards risk assessment as I ride a motorcycle. So for me an easy decicision getting vaccinated asap.
We don’t do much winter/or night sailing .Too old and like the warmth and comfort.
Re boat gear just have usual beanies woollen jumpers Burke jackets. Space foil blankets in crash bag.
As also with things covid,avoidance is probably the best safety approach here.
Sympathies to these people and their friends and families.
Stay safe all.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yes Emrys, I meant to add condolences to the post as well. My late father fished offshore all year round in his Haines V16 but almost always in company with at least one other boat of similar size for safety. Often wonder about his preparation as I know he would have had the cheapest PFDs allowed at the time. Still never came to grief, sometimes it’s just bad luck not lack of experience.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... -wear.html

Interesting article after a bit of searching. I note hypothermia can occur in water as “warm” as 70* F (that’s 21*C :shock: ) So current ocean temp of 17 is dead dangerous, but everyone is aware of that.

Canceled all our social engagements til our second jab of AZ mid next month. A nice safe Investigator seems like a good place to be for recreation, cold or not. Got this far don’t want to risk getting delta from dimbulbs distributing it from the deep south :shock: Take care all and stay safe ...put on ya woolies ;)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Please excuse my bumping this thread again , the title’s framed from a tragedy but I’m starting a new thread on winter sailing again. But this thread has a lot of good links in it relevant.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)