when you feel like you need to get a bigger boat read this

http://www.quietboating.com/small.html
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Steve

Re: small is beautiful

Post by Steve »

You could sell the 563 and get one of these :idea: . Just imagine, no trailer and being able to launch anywhere, tons of fun. How much cheaper to run would that be compared to a 563 :shock:
Attachments
Dinghy_Go_UK_inflatable_sailing_dinghy.jpg
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Interesting article. Thanks Atles
It's really about the whole philosophy of sailing. A subject not discussed here or on the "other" website but plenty of fanatical proponents of what sailing should be like and often quite aggressive in their opinions. I value advice and opinions on rigging,fitting out, hardware, towing etc etc. However, anything else is all subjective.
I look in sheer amazement at the classic wooden boat brigade in Tasmania - it's 90% glueing, sanding, varnishing, polishing, stitching and maybe 10% sailing but it's still sailing and they love it. Then I know people down here with large cats who mostly sunday sail and have bbq's with friends after and that's sailing and they love it.
I'm no psychologist but.....
I think Lawrence is suffering badly from the old one eyed green monster problem and if that's what he likes then just get on with it and stop trying to justify himself and leave the others alone.
And then there's us and we love it. It's all sailing and as the French say "vive le difference"
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

http://thesailingpodcast.com/lin-and-larry-pardey/

if you like podcasts this one with Lin Pardey also talks a lot about small boats . The Pardeys are well known sailing writers , now retired from full time cruising but given their world wide sailing its interesting to hear her comments on the size of boats that they come across doing world cruising , smaller than you think. They started out in a 24 footer from memories. You can get this on itunes store too. Its a free down load.

And if we are talking minimalist..... :shock:

http://www.simplicityboats.com/corky.html
corky_bryanatwoodS_small.jpg
corky_bryanatwoodS_small.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 7643 times
Could fit this blighter in a suite case.

I don't think the size of your boat matters. I've always considered boating is its own reward, from my old kayak to my old hulk of a cruiser. Now its Sailing. Sailing just gives me a reason to be on the water. No disrespect for racers but most times you start competing in anything the recreational aspects get overridden by the **ssing competition aspects. Been round the block too many times to care about that anymore. I love to fish. I was keen as a young bloke when Id fish with my late dad and we caught shiploads of fish. Now we rarely catch much and it does not bother me one bit. Sitting in a tinny just looking at the view and taking in the lake you look like a complete dork. Stick a rod over the side and you look like a fisherman. A famous quote is something about "men fish all their lives but rarely understand what it is they are fishing for" :) Must be an equivalent quote for sailing , anyone know.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I have read this link many years ago. Going small just makes sense to me. If you want a big boat experience then find a crew position on a keel-boat. If they are decent then they will be glad to have you.
Peter
Pip #127
Steve

Post by Steve »

Dr. Peter wrote: If you want a big boat experience then find a crew position on a keel-boat. If they are decent then they will be glad to have you.
But crewing on a bigger boat doesn't get you a bigger boat, some of us might just want a bigger boat, something that is easier to sail than a 563 and more practical . The way I see it, smaller can limit you in many ways.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Nothing difficult about sailing an Investigator 563. However, wanting a bigger boat can be a common desire. It is all about crew and passenger numbers. If you want to go bigger in a T/S you may need a bigger tow vehicle, which if you are like me, is a pain to drive in the city. Alternatively there are lots of bargain keelboats out there, as long as you have the time to maintain and sail them, they're good value.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yara50 wrote:Nothing difficult about sailing an Investigator 563.
Hi Ian
I wasn't trying to say the 563 was difficult sail, I was really trying to put some perspective on sailing as a whole act. For example, compare a laser to a 563, to a Contessa 32. I would think that longer you are on board, the Contessa would be easier on you than the 563, and the 563 easier than a laser. In 20knts of wind I fight my 563 to windward all the way, on my 10m boat in 20knts, I can go below and make a coffee. I just find statements of one better than the other absurd, what perfectly suits one person may not even be in the ballpark for another. I do agree, that the 563 is all I would want to tow behind my vehicle and for that reason mostly, I bought it.

Steve
atles

Post by atles »

:oops: OH my god what have i done lol
i open a can of worms ahhaha

i think as ever one here has said different views on what is right for them
from your life style eg kids wife , mistress lol
time you have on hand to sail , money ,work commitments
i know if i said here
we are going to give you all the money you could spend on sailing say 300 million and you do not have to work

i am sure you say give me a 100 foot boat and i have a full time crew to run me up and down were i like !!

so it all about what is right for you at this time i think
but like all sailing we love it
just to be out there
the wind pushing the boat along Arrr bliss.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Steve

Post by Steve »

No can of worms here, just the start of a discussion about Lawrence's opinion.
Ozzie mentioned the Pardey's, I have a couple of their books and most of their DVD's. Whilst I love their adventures and knowledge of sailing. Some of the stuff they say borders on stupidity whilst trying to promote or justify their own unique techniques.