Propellor repairs.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Propellor repairs.

Post by Ozzie »

Several months ago I dropped my 2008 5 hp short shaft merc on my fishing poly canoe on the ground while moving it to the trailer on a hand trolley. Normally the skeg would have taken the brunt but as bad luck would have it the blade hit a large rock near the ramp and cracked the tip about a third of the way across. Replacement cost new $149 ouch :x

I tried hunting one up on the central coast wreckers and advertising but they are the newer prop with the rubber insert so not many wrecked yet. They did however put me onto "Central Coast Propellor Repairs". A small concern run out of a house in Gorokan. Could not recommend this chap more. Did an excellent job , completely ground out the whole cracked area, welded and straightened the tip and resharpened and painted the whole prop. Looks like new, total cost $40.

This is the first prop I've had without a shear pin as it has a sacrificial rubber spline to stop the shaft damage in the event of a prop strike. CCPR told me he can replace these also if damaged . You get the part and they will press it in properly.

They are on the net for anyone in the area. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (33.31 KiB) Viewed 8516 times
Damaged blade was the on on right of pic
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)