The ancient mariner rides again.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

The ancient mariner rides again.

Post by Ozzie »

You may recall that I retired the old 1979 aircooled 5 that came with the boat. Well after recently buying a newer extra long shaft water cooled at a good second hand price I was at the mechanoids getting a full service on it so I took the old one along to see if i should just turf it. Long story short it turned out the coil had eventually died after its swim a few years back. A replacement was found plus a new gasket constructed for the gb which had water in the oil and viola its all good again starting first pull and going like steam train. Cost afew hundred in bits and labour but I am rather fond of that old donk. These were just a mighty engine . My newer 10 year old Mariner has a lighting coil and is much quieter but Im keeping the oldie for a spare and a backup if I do long trips. They do in fact fit in the rear lockers if anyone wants to know ;)
back in black...well grey
back in black...well grey
ancient M.jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
I have been fortunate to be out sailing now three times in the last week :D so I may wear the new one out getting from the mooring to the channel to sail at this rate. A1 weather at the moment locally .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)