Front strut

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Front strut

Post by Ozzie »

This is not something I did in the recent haul out but a pic I found looking for my rudder pic.... thought it might be of interest.

My front struts were very ratty when I got the boat. Peeling chrome on the brass and one had the diecast locking pin broken. Thats the round section with the threaded pin that locks it into the open position when the black plastic knob is tightened. As these struts are not cheap to replace I decided to attempt a renovation. I welded a stainless washer to a stainless bolt of the same thread as the original. After I was satisfied with the weld (I'm a novice with stainless welding rods) I carefully ground it down with my angle grinder to the correct shape . A sand back of the rod and coat of spray chrome and the rod looked presentable and worked fine. The pic shows the renovated rod and the unrenovated one . The fabricated part is the mushroom shaped bit with the big hole in it. I left the washer at full diameter on the opposite side to the threaded bolt for strength . It does not hamper the operation of the clamping effect
563 Front strut reno
563 Front strut reno
I bit of a fiddle but a lot cheaper than a new strut. You could use mild steel if you are not moored like me.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)