Be aware of aftermarket products

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Be aware of aftermarket products

Post by Mark »

Hello all

Yesterday I was sailing in the balmy waters of the bay and preparing to down sails and cross the bar. I always start my engine before beginning this process. I was surprised that my trusty Mercury 5hp OB failed to start. I had noticed some issues in recent weeks but as I had ensured it had its annual service only 3 months ago I thought all would be ok, so it was a surprise to have a failed OB.

I wasn't in any danger so I sailed into a calm bay near the bar and anchored, called Marine Rescue NSW Batemans Bay and sheepishly requested a tow back into the launching ramp - knowing I would not live this down from my Colleagues. All very embarrassing for me as I do these assists myself as a volunteer. They did a sterling and professional job I must say.

I could under other circumstances have sailed Aminee in as the winds were favourable but the ramp is undergoing a refit and space it limited due to construction barges in place. Once you are committed inside the harbour there is little room to manoeuvre without an engine.

Once Aminee was retrieved I took the motor to a repair place. The outcome was that the fuel line which I had purchased a year ago had an aftermarket coupling to my OB inlet which had failed and was sucking air and providing intermitted fuel delivery. It was suggested that I replace this with a genuine Mercury part and once done all problems solved.

My warning therefore is to be careful of these non-standard parts that they fail eventually and if possible get genuine replacement parts. I didn't know a year ago that this was even a potential issue. Lesson learned this week.

Cheers

Mark