Biofuels

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Biofuels

Post by Ozzie »

While seeking some info on new speed restriction zones (here here) :D :D on the NSW Maritime site, I found this blurb on biofuels. Reinforces the facts discussed over on TSP last year.

Quote:
Generally ethanol blended fuel is not recommended in a marine application because ethanol absorbs water readily, to the point where it may separate from the petrol.

The ethanol itself may cause problems for carburettors, fibreglass fuel tanks, rubber fuel lines, fittings, seals and filtration systems, particularly in older engines, and non-standard engine installations.

The NSW Government has provided for exemptions so that regular unleaded petrol may continue to be available from marinas after 2011.

Boat owners who purchase their petrol from service stations will be able to purchase premium grade unleaded fuel without ethanol
http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boat ... fuels.html

Worth a read and also covers diesel. On my mechanoid's advice I'm running high octane in the "Ancient Mariner" anyway (yes still firing after its swim) but I note the 2011 cutoff for regular unleaded. Still available from marinas but what will they charge for it. :shock:

Also goes on to say that E10 be used ONLY if

Quote:
the vessel will not be operated in conditions where engine failure may result in a serious threat to the safety of the vessel and its occupants.

So there may be legal and insurance issues as well :?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)