The RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

The RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER

Post by Ozzie »

Two days ago I had my tender flip on the back of the boat while on the mooring. Southerly hit us and as it rained we thought we would bottle up inside till it passed. As the rain eased we peeked out to see the prop of the 'Ancient Mariner' my old air cooled 5hp sticking up through the waves.

It was too rough to attempt a rescue till the blow went so it was upside down for half an hour.

After getting home used lots of fresh water, removed air intake drained fuel tank. I then googled and requested advice also from TSP

I got lots of good advice from many quarters but in a nutshell heres what I did

*drained carb and have cleaned plug and checked cylinder

* Mixed up a double oil mix with fresh fuel and hand pulled the motor to draw it through

*squirted raw oil then fuel then WD in the cylinder AFTER turning it upside down to drain it through the plug hole

After reassembling it I attempted a start but there was no spark

May be a sign from Neptune, but I have become attached to that old motor, I like its simplicity and rough note.

I was not game to try recovery during the blow as the waves were too strong and I was concerned I might punch a whole in the investigator if we crossed up. Even after the wind died it was a job and a half for my wife and myself to flip it. Eventually I tied a rope on the Mariner and undid the clamps and dragged it in separately.

In 35 years of boating Ive never drowned an OB but anyway a valuable lesson, never ride out a storm with your motor on the tender.

I dropped it off to Max's Marine the next morning. As expected the first question was "how long ago did it drown?". He said I had done all the right things but

1. Even though it was not running, being a 2 stroke it would have got water in the head and guts anyway. Thought about that and i guess its obvious.

2. With a big motor they normally get them running ASAP as you all said, take them out on a boat and run them hot for an hour to oil up everything and then strip them down.

3. With a small low value motor its usually a case of they go or they are dead.

I got a call back mid afternoon Max, bless him, dewatered the electrics and recleaned the carb and bingo.$75

He ran it in the tank for half an hour then rang me and told me to take it for a looong run. I wasn't trusting getting stuck in a blow in Spritzig II with a sus OB so I took the tender. No worries started first pull and ran solid for 90mins then idling in the garbage tin for half an hour.

I asked him if I should use the double oil mix I flushed it with as this was recommended and he said no just stick with the standard 50:1 mix.

Other things suggested by the learned gentry on TSP were metho in the fuel in the head/carb to assist removal and using an air compressor .... all sound good.

Today I have run the beast twice in the tank for half an hour. So far so good. I don't know what the long term prognosis is but its a good thread with good advice in case the unthinkable happens, if you wish to read the lot on TSP. My motor in good nick is probably worth $100 but if you have a $2000 motor its critical to start stopping the rot ASAP

http://trailersailerplace.com.au/forum/ ... php?t=4396
Attachments
Oh ###T
Oh ###T
DSC04665_1.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)