AS 1799.2 - 1989 General requirements for yachts

General Sailing Talk
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

AS 1799.2 - 1989 General requirements for yachts

Post by Raya »

The above Australian standard contains details for the construction of Trailer Sailer yachts. The standard was published in 1989 and has since been withdrawn but not superceded. The previous version of the standard published in 1975 dealt with powered boats and did not include yachts. AS 1799.2-1989 does not contain advice on the maximum number of people that the vessel can carry. (AS1799.1-2009 has this detail.)

Section 3 of AS 1799.2-1989 deals with trailer sailers and I can only presume that this section was added to the previous standard due to the popularity of the concept at the time. In hindsight, it is interesting to see how well our Investigators, designed 15 years before the release of this standard, adhere to the document. It is a fair bet that some of the design criteria in the standard were as a result of mishaps during the halcyon days of trailer sailering.

There are four design criteria that the standard address in Section 3.

3.2 Stability and reserve buoyancy - This section gives a formula used to calculate the self righting force. If not self righting, the boat must have reserve boyancy to allow it to float upright. The Investigator would be one of the few trailer sailers that would meet both of these requirements.

3.3 Keels. The standard specifies that Trailer sailers fitted with retractable keels should have a method of indicating the position of the keel, visible at the helmsman’s station. The Investigator does not meet this requirement but would be easily met by a few tags on the centreboard rope.

3.4 Hull Design. This deals with the design of decks, cockpits, cockpit drains, footing, lifelines, cockpit lockers and the heavy equipment storage. The Investigator complies with all of these except the cockpit drains where the total area of cockpit drains shall not be less than 20 cm2 per cubic metre of cockpit volume.

3.5 Hatches and Companionways.

3.5.1 Exits, two required with no side less than 400mm. Tick

3.5.2 Bridge deck (step into cabin) required. Tick

3.5.3 Storm boards. "Storm boards shall be not less than 10 mm thick if made of marine grade plywood. Storm boards shall be attached to the hull by a line and shall have a means of securing them in place in a 180° rollover." I'm not sure what thickness the boards were that came with the Investigator as mine had been replaced by swinging doors. I have since made up a set but they are thinner than 10mm. Anyone know what the original setup was?

3.5.4 Companionway hatches and similar arrangements. Our comapnionway hatch, ie poptop and hatch meet some of the requirements but not all. They need be "designed so that they may be quickly closed and latched from both inside and outside the cabin."
Our design lacks the ability to quickly secure the poptop and companionway hatch from inside (or even outside) the cabin. Some members have recognised this shortcoming and I know a few members have resorted to bolting the poptop shut in order to secure it.

This standard is interesting in that it highlights some of the faults of the early trailer sailers. With the exception of the self draining cockpit, our boats could be easily upgraded to meet the rest of the standard.
Ray
Investigator #39