Where do I get a new boom end casting?

General Sailing Talk
countrypiper

Where do I get a new boom end casting?

Post by countrypiper »

Hi folks - so I was putting the sails on the boom for spring, and the mast end of the boom end broke - one of the two horns that accept the pin that goes through the tack of the sail cracked and broke off in my hand. The casting is secured to the boom via 3 rivets, and has the goose neck mounted in it. Any ideas?
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Where do I get a new boom end casting?

Post by Raya »

I think the part you are chasing is called a boom plug.

Keeley Maarine, https://www.keeleymarine.com.au/ , used to stock these as part number KO1G/N. Give them a call and see if they have any left.
Attachments
Boom plug.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
countrypiper

Post by countrypiper »

thanks - mine doesn't look like that one - mine has two (well, one now, as one broke off) lugs atop of the plug into which the pin goes to hold the tack of the sail to the boom.

If I could figure out how to load a picture, I'd do so.
countrypiper

Post by countrypiper »

pictures - I hope...
boom end 3.jpg
boom end 2.jpg
boom end 1.jpg
no way

Post by no way »

Mine looks like neither of those - will check brand and get pic on boat tomorrow. Mine has plug similar to Raya's but with an s/s fitting similar to Riley's RM 84 or RM 85 to give you the tack mounting. Has a stopped slide to give adjustment on track mounted to mast. Mine could be old Ronstan fitting which came complete
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Here is a pic of my mast fitting for the boom plug version that I posted. Seems like the one that no way described.
Goose neck fitting.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
no way

Post by no way »

Yep. That's the same as mine. There were some variations of the connection to the plug. On mine the pin which goes into rod piece has a split pin thru it inside the boom which makes it permanent so the boom is removed by sliding off the track. Raya's appears to be the version where the rod just slides into the casting when in use. Sometimes the fixed version had a spring around rod after it passes thru the casting. This was in conjunction with the casting (which is as yours appears) with a square recess in the face to take the yoke piece at the base of the rod. This allowed for spring loaded manual roller reefing with locking position each 90deg i.e push boom after and roll then release forward to lock in casting.