Kevin Shepherd Designs

Somewhere for discussion about other trailer sailers and keelboats.
Yara50

Kevin Shepherd Designs

Post by Yara50 »

OK, I confess. For some time I have been lusting after a bigger boat. The criteria include an integral keel, and a size somewhere between 24 and 30 ft. And maybe a long keel, and standing headroom. Enclosed toilet for the ladies.

I have looked at lots of boats, and every time come back to how well designed the Investigator 563 is.

As well as designing the Investigator 563, Kevin Shepherd was well known for the Marauder 24. There are quite a few of those. His final design was the Marauder 27, also known as the Marauder 823, and lately even "Investigator 27"!
The Marauder 27 was launched at the tail end of an economy cycle, and hit a tough market. Opinions differ, but it is said that only about a dozen were made. They have a traditional internal layout, with only a nominal forecabin, rather like the famous Herreshof H28.

There is no Marauder forum, so I thought I would tack this sub- forum onto our site. The Marauder 27 certainly looks like the big sister of the Investigator 563.
Attachments
Marauder 27
Marauder 27
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
atles

Re: Kevin Shepherd Designs

Post by atles »

i was thinking of getting one before getting my steel boat.
but the two i looked at were well on there last legs. :cry:
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
vmcg

Post by vmcg »

I am new to this forum, and I know this thread is really old, but in case anyone else is interested in another great Kevin Shepherd design,
the Marauder 24 - I thought I would add a comment. I have owned and sailed a Marauder 24 for the past 10 years, and they are a very under rated small yacht. The M24 is a very capable boat, is fast, very sea worthy and well balanced. It will keep going in conditions that will have many other similar sized boats and even larger ones running for shelter. It is a truly great design.
The generally cheep asking price for these boats on the market does not reflect the quality of the design.
The main issue with them is that most have been under maintained and neglected over the years and are in need of a re-build
I have re-built mine over the past 3 years from the keel up - a huge job, but on the M24 it results in a wonderful boat.
Regards
Vince
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome again, Vince.
Would be interesting to hear what jobs you had to do to restore your boat.

The good thing about trailer-sailers is that despite their age, many are still in good condition, having been stored under cover.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
vmcg

Post by vmcg »

Very true about trailer sailors Ian. much easier to work on at home too when they do need some attention.
If I ever sell the Marauder 24 I will look for an Investigator trailer sailor. Lots of pros with a trailer sailor that's for sure !

With my boat - I started the work with a good survey of things and found some wet fore deck core and delaminated main bulkhead, so decided to strip it inside and out back to bare glass. I also wanted to really set it up for coastal and ocean sailing so strengthened much of the boat. To give you some idea of the extent of the re-build the below will give you an idea, but i'm sure there is more I have left out!

* Fore deck core removed and fore deck re-built in laminated marine ply under the original glass skin.
* New main bulkhead + New FWD bulkhead + 2 new collision bulkheads under FWD berth. Additional bulkheads under berths.
* New Integral water tanks x2 totalling 120 litres built into the hull under quarter berths with baffles.
* New floors and glass strengthening in the bilges. 50kg additional lead ballast glassed in to counter the weight of diesel engine
removal (removed by previous owner)
* Bridge deck built in front of the companionway to reduce cockpit flooded volume.
* New teak aft lazzarete hatch built.
* companionway hatches re-built in poly carbonate sliding into a garage
* New marine toilet with integral holding tank built into the hull under the fwd berth.
* FWD Berth replaced / re-built . Port side quarter berth built. ( now has quarter berths on both port and starboard side )
* New battery housing under saloon seat.
* All new timber interior fit out in tasmanian oak, teak and WRC. removable chart table over galley doubles as saloon table.
* side windows removed / filled in and replaced with 1 large opening SS port light on each side.
* Many watertight compartments built in. epoxy foam filled in FWD collision bulkheads (all accessible )
* Motor well through cockpit floor aft of the bridge deck. motor removable with sailing plug. motor stows below under cockpit behind
companionway steps or can be left in the well when sailing.
* New standing and running rigging with mast checked and overhauled as required.
* replaced many deck fittings including all toe rail bolts, cleats etc. New rope clutches.
* New ground tackle.
* built new custom dinghy. fits upside down fwd of the mast.
* All new wiring / LED lighting. (not finished yet)
* New rudder built in solid laminated marine ply heavily glassed. New rudder bearings. Rudder is semi balanced with 10% lead fwd of
the SS rudder stock.
* Full re-paint hull in Altex 2 pack . New deck non skid in kiwi grip.
* New sails with lazyjacks on the main and furlex headsail furler.
* All new thru hulls in tru design composite - and new manual bilge pump.

Still need to finish off the wiring, solar panel mounting etc. Like I say - now a really solid and beautiful boat but it has taken me about 3 years. Spent much more than I should have or intended to when I started, but that's the way projects like this go i guess. I had owned the boat for a number of years before I started so I knew how good the design was and how well it sailed. Then again - going to all that work - I did wonder if I was crazy a time or two !!

Vince
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

This Marauder 27 under contract for under 3k (Congrats to the new owner)

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sa ... oat/256525

The decks are restored, Interior needs finishing off. Good photos of the boat. Has a skeg hung rudder, and allot of functioning equipment. They look like a good design but i've not read much about them.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

This Maurauder 27 for sale in NSW,

it's been restored, seems well maintained and Its fitted with a Bukh 10 Hp diesel engine

The photos give a good idea of the layout and under hull, i like the skeg hung rudder setup (safer at sea). Do you know anyone who has sailed on one? Looks like design to go coastal NSW

https://yachthub.com/list/search.html?a ... eywords=27

A few photos attached and here's the description, (for after the boat's sold and the link's a dud)

Built in 1977 by Marauder Yachts. This is an easy entry into a small family, coastal hopper or something to sail around the cans for fun. Weekends away are definitely possible with up to 5 berths and basic galley set up.

Quite a high-performance yacht with her fractional rig.

New interior upholstery, fully re wired in 2016, Sails replaced 2016,2 new batteries in 2019, Bukh 10hp engine just serviced in late 2020 with a low 500 hours showing and antifouled at the same time. Rigging replaced in 2006. Raymarine depth sounder. Little to do but turn key and enjoy.

Extract from an early test sail on Lake Macquarie below.

Down below, this yacht is superbly roomy for a 27 footer. The finish is excellent and the whole main saloon has a luxury, comfortable feel about it. The two skylights and four windows make the interior light and airy and the combination of trunk- way and dished floor give good headroom right through the yacht. Shephard has used his imagination to good effect here and the galley area would be the envy of any kitchen designer for its roominess and compactness. The interior lining is tasteful and the teak work first class and every inch has been thoughtfully worked out to give a spacious, luxury finish.

But without doubt the top marks go to the design of the dinette arrangement which is a masterful piece of ingenuity. In its lowered position, the table forms a spacious double bunk with upholstered surrounds on the starboard side, while a single berth occupies the port side. Raised and clamped into position on the Sampson post, the table forms a cosy dinette on the starboard side which will comfortably seat four adults. So far, fairly standard design. But here's the real pitch. A flap on the opposite side of the table can be raised so that the port berth seats another two at the table. Total; six adults comfortably seated around a good sized table. And all this without encroaching in the slightest on the roomy galley area.
The forward cabin is cosy, but nicely private and fitted with toilet on the starboard side and hanging lockers on the port side. Moulded berths provide two kids' bunks if required, otherwise sail storage room. The compartment is adequately lighted and ventilated by the perspex hatch which, as mentioned, offers good access to the foredeck. For a 27ft (8.23m) yacht, this is excellent accommodation indeed, and all tastefully upholstered and finished with teak trim, and extremely comfortable bunks, particularly the spacious double berth.
To summarise, then, the Marauder 8.23 is without doubt a superb cruising yacht with good potential as an offshore racer. She is luxuriously fitted with every innovation that can make life afloat comfortable and easy at this entry level.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Country Origin : Australia
Designer : Shephard
Builder : Marauder

Hull Construction Material : GRP
Hull Type : Mono
Deck Construction Material : GRP

Length (m) : 8.23 m
Beam/Width (feet) : 8'3 feet
Draft (m) : 1.3 m
Draft (feet) : 4'6 feet

Keel/Ballast : Fin keel
Number of Helms : 1 stainless wheel
Engine Notes : Bukh 10hp just serviced. Low 500 hours.
Number Of Engines : 1
Engine Standard : Bukh 10hp diesel shaft drive
Stroke : 4
Engine Hours : 500
Horse Power (hp) : 10
Drive Type : shaft

Engine Room : Located under steps.
Number of Batteries : 2, replaced 2019
Fuel Type : Diesel
Number of Fuel Tanks : 1
Fuel Tank Capacity (L) : 40
Propeller : 3 blade fixed
Steering System : Stainless wheel to cables

Accommodation Notes : New interior cushions, sleeps 4, roomy layout with good headroom for 27 footer
Number of Berths : 4-5
Number of Toilets : 1
Toilet Type : Electric

Galley Notes : Simple galley, metho 2 burner stovetop
Stove : Metho 2 burner
Refrigeration : Ice chest
Number of Sinks : 1

Anchor / Winch : Galvanised anchor and chain
Bilge Pump : 1 x portable electric
Mast/Rigging : 2006 stainless rigging.
Sail Inventory : Almost new 2016 Main and Jib

Electrics : 12v, fully rewired in 2016, new batteries 2019
Electronics Navigation : Raymarine depth sounder
Covers : Boom cover
Safety Gear : Life jackets, vhf
Ground Tackle : Galvanised anchor and chain

Has Navigation Lights : Yes
Radio : VHF
Number of Life Jackets : 6
Anti-foul : December 2020

Vessel Name : TULLAWAH
Attachments
Marauder 27 head
Marauder 27 head
Marauder 27 Galley
Marauder 27 Galley
Marauder 27 cabin forward dinette
Marauder 27 cabin forward dinette
Marauder 27 on mooring
Marauder 27 on mooring
Marauder 27 cabin forward double bed
Marauder 27 cabin forward double bed
Marauder 27 cabin aft
Marauder 27 cabin aft
Marauder 27 on slipway
Marauder 27 on slipway
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ronald
Investigator Boat Name: Tullawah

Post by Ronald »

Hi all, I purchased the Marauder 27 that was listed as noted above in January 2022.

I was looking for a simple day or weekend sailor with a good fit-out and capable of short handed sailing. The photos and the description was very attractive so I took a look at the boat on several occasions. Unfortunately the photos were not current and the condition of the boat had deteriorated due to neglect and staying locked up for more that a year in Sydney's humid weather. I figured on a good internal clean-out of the black bilges and sticky woodwork would return it to a good internal appearance. Being a fist time purchaser I had a Per-purchase inspection carried out and the results came back as expected; needs some work to restore some areas and basically sound. Areas needing immediate attention was the corroded aluminium windows that were leaking, the standing rigging is "original" and beyond the 10 year age for insurance. The 10HP Bukh need a good service and the 27MHz radio replaced with VHF.

The engine was my first focus, and after having the F/R control replaced, discovered a problem with the gearbox in returning from R to N. It turned out it was a very old design BW6 which were replaced with BW7 in most of the later engine installations. Unfortunately the output is at a different height and the engine would need to be lowered to meet the shaft coupling. A quick ring around to see if it could be serviced received a loud No, no parts and no one will touch that model. I then found the cost and complexity of getting the parts and having the 45 year old engine receiving a full overhaul daunting so I am planning to replace it with a new Beta 14 twin cylinder closed cooling system for about twice the cost of repairing the Bukh. Anyone need one for spares. The Quote for a new Beta 14 is $7K plus installation of around $4K.

Next I looked at the standing rigging. The mast is stepped in a aluminium module with internal sheaves and it uses wire for the main halyard and topping lift. The metal sheaves for these are frozen and warn, The other nylon sheaves are also a problem with some frozen and worn to the bearings. So this will need a re-build and the mast and removed and serviced and stays replaced. In addition the mast step mentioned is cracked and a major concern as to weather it can be overhauled and need to be replaced. As there is no "identical" replacement available it may require a complete re-arrangement of the mast base, step and sheaves area. The quote to service the standing rigging, without resolving the mast base area, is $6K plus $2K for a Lazy-jack and Boom-bag. I am open to any suggestions to fixing the mast base issue. I can't work out how to attach a few photos.

So this is turning out to be an expensive project which would mot return the investment when re-sold. But I should end up with a nice pocket yacht with a reliable motor and confident standing rigging. I'll keep you posted as the work proceeds.

Ron.
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

G'day Ron, and welcome.

To attach photos - at the bottom of a new post, bottom left, there is a tab called Attachments. If you click that when you post you can browse to the pics on your device and upload them.

I for one will be very interested in any progress reports or anything of interest, I am thinking about a keelboat in the not too distant future and an M27 is a consideration.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

I’m also thinking of upgrading from the investigator in the near future and the marauder is in my list. Ideally I want a Catalina 30.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82