investigator563.com

Forum for Investigator sailors and other enthusiasts
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Kevin Shepherd Designs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm 

OK, I confess. For some time I have been lusting after a bigger boat. The criteria include an integral keel, and a size somewhere between 24 and 30 ft. And maybe a long keel, and standing headroom. Enclosed toilet for the ladies.

I have looked at lots of boats, and every time come back to how well designed the Investigator 563 is.

As well as designing the Investigator 563, Kevin Shepherd was well known for the Marauder 24. There are quite a few of those. His final design was the Marauder 27, also known as the Marauder 823, and lately even "Investigator 27"!
The Marauder 27 was launched at the tail end of an economy cycle, and hit a tough market. Opinions differ, but it is said that only about a dozen were made. They have a traditional internal layout, with only a nominal forecabin, rather like the famous Herreshof H28.

There is no Marauder forum, so I thought I would tack this sub- forum onto our site. The Marauder 27 certainly looks like the big sister of the Investigator 563.

Attachments:
File comment: Marauder 27
marauder5.jpg
marauder5.jpg [ 88.27 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]

Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Save CO2- go sailing!

Post subject: Re: Kevin Shepherd Designs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 pm 

i was thinking of getting one before getting my steel boat.
but the two i looked at were well on there last legs. :cry:

Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:54 pm 

I am new to this forum, and I know this thread is really old, but in case anyone else is interested in another great Kevin Shepherd design,
the Marauder 24 - I thought I would add a comment. I have owned and sailed a Marauder 24 for the past 10 years, and they are a very under rated small yacht. The M24 is a very capable boat, is fast, very sea worthy and well balanced. It will keep going in conditions that will have many other similar sized boats and even larger ones running for shelter. It is a truly great design.
The generally cheep asking price for these boats on the market does not reflect the quality of the design.
The main issue with them is that most have been under maintained and neglected over the years and are in need of a re-build
I have re-built mine over the past 3 years from the keel up - a huge job, but on the M24 it results in a wonderful boat.
Regards
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:01 pm 

Welcome again, Vince.
Would be interesting to hear what jobs you had to do to restore your boat.

The good thing about trailer-sailers is that despite their age, many are still in good condition, having been stored under cover.

Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Save CO2- go sailing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:42 pm 

Very true about trailer sailors Ian. much easier to work on at home too when they do need some attention.
If I ever sell the Marauder 24 I will look for an Investigator trailer sailor. Lots of pros with a trailer sailor that's for sure !

With my boat - I started the work with a good survey of things and found some wet fore deck core and delaminated main bulkhead, so decided to strip it inside and out back to bare glass. I also wanted to really set it up for coastal and ocean sailing so strengthened much of the boat. To give you some idea of the extent of the re-build the below will give you an idea, but i'm sure there is more I have left out!

* Fore deck core removed and fore deck re-built in laminated marine ply under the original glass skin.
* New main bulkhead + New FWD bulkhead + 2 new collision bulkheads under FWD berth. Additional bulkheads under berths.
* New Integral water tanks x2 totalling 120 litres built into the hull under quarter berths with baffles.
* New floors and glass strengthening in the bilges. 50kg additional lead ballast glassed in to counter the weight of diesel engine
removal (removed by previous owner)
* Bridge deck built in front of the companionway to reduce cockpit flooded volume.
* New teak aft lazzarete hatch built.
* companionway hatches re-built in poly carbonate sliding into a garage
* New marine toilet with integral holding tank built into the hull under the fwd berth.
* FWD Berth replaced / re-built . Port side quarter berth built. ( now has quarter berths on both port and starboard side )
* New battery housing under saloon seat.
* All new timber interior fit out in tasmanian oak, teak and WRC. removable chart table over galley doubles as saloon table.
* side windows removed / filled in and replaced with 1 large opening SS port light on each side.
* Many watertight compartments built in. epoxy foam filled in FWD collision bulkheads (all accessible )
* Motor well through cockpit floor aft of the bridge deck. motor removable with sailing plug. motor stows below under cockpit behind
companionway steps or can be left in the well when sailing.
* New standing and running rigging with mast checked and overhauled as required.
* replaced many deck fittings including all toe rail bolts, cleats etc. New rope clutches.
* New ground tackle.
* built new custom dinghy. fits upside down fwd of the mast.
* All new wiring / LED lighting. (not finished yet)
* New rudder built in solid laminated marine ply heavily glassed. New rudder bearings. Rudder is semi balanced with 10% lead fwd of
the SS rudder stock.
* Full re-paint hull in Altex 2 pack . New deck non skid in kiwi grip.
* New sails with lazyjacks on the main and furlex headsail furler.
* All new thru hulls in tru design composite - and new manual bilge pump.

Still need to finish off the wiring, solar panel mounting etc. Like I say - now a really solid and beautiful boat but it has taken me about 3 years. Spent much more than I should have or intended to when I started, but that's the way projects like this go i guess. I had owned the boat for a number of years before I started so I knew how good the design was and how well it sailed. Then again - going to all that work - I did wonder if I was crazy a time or two !!

Vince