Bought 'PRIVATE EYE' :) - Very happy

xcbell

Bought 'PRIVATE EYE' :) - Very happy

Post by xcbell »

Hi guys

A friend and I are looking to buy a trailer sailer and I like the look of the Investigator 563. We are located in Adelaide, SA, and our research indicates there are a lot less trailer-able centerboard boats on the market compared to the eastern states!

Is anyone aware of any Investigators for sale in SA, or even Victoria?

We are a bit wary of buying an interstate boat without having a look at it first. Has anyone here had any experience in buying interstate without viewing in person? Is it the done thing. My gut feeling says no :)

By way of background, both myself and my friend have experience sailing small dinghies - heron and 420, but no experience in trailer sailers. Our price range is $7000-9,000.

Thanks

Xavier :D
Last edited by xcbell on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yara50

Re: Looking to buy in SA

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome Xavier
Unfortunately buying in a smaller market can mean that you have to wait a bit longer. However, for the open waters of SA, I believe the Investigator 563 is a good choice.
It could be possible to buy from interstate, as I am sure some of our members would be happy to do an inspection for you, but of course, with no reponsibility. It is also possible to get a commercial surveyor to take a look for you.

If buying interstate, one of the main concerns would be the state of the trailer, so you might need to allow some time to fit new tyres or wheel bearings. However, a seller may also possible do those things for you.
Good luck!
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
BobK

Post by BobK »

Our boat is going to be on the market in September. In Brisbane, but there are plenty of people here able togive a good appraisal.

Will be on the higher end of the market, but value fro money and a good trailer.

Bob
Bob
Margarita #32
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

Our beloved Investigator "Private Eye" is sort of on the market now. It is our second Investigator and we love them, but moving to a bigger TS so has to go. It might be a bit more than your price range, but it is in great condition and we are in Victoria.
Boat is in good white gelcoat with new black striping and signwritten name. Never anti-fouled and no dings. Excellent galv. trailer with near new light truck Michelins and an add on extending galv bar for shallow ramps which has never been needed. Brakes are electric and I am about to renew them but not done yet. Tows, launches/retrieves very easily.
Boat can be rigged single handed courtesy of an excellent device which fits on the rudder pintles and telescopes to give the necessary angle to start to lift. Good sails including 2 jibs plus new storm jib. Has jib furler. Excellent 8hp Yamaha. Basic electrics (small battery running 27mhz radio, 2 cabin lights and nav lights.) Four good vinyl bunks (they actually each measure 180cm long by nearly 60cm wide). Headroom at rear of cabin due to a permanent raised fibreglass section in place of the pop-top. This is great as it is strong enough to stand on and even looks OK. Can be easily removed and standard pop-top also supplied. The only possible money to be spent is on the trailer brakes and possibly the ply weather boards. These need painting or I was planning to replace with perspex. Both these jobs can be done for the higher price or I can leave alone if buyer wants to do it. My price is $10,000 or $10,500 with the above jobs done. I haven't got around to working out how to do photos but could do that shortly no doubt. Just thought I would get it out there since there is interest.
Cheers, Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
xcbell

Post by xcbell »

Thanks for the info guys :)

I will have to undertake delicate negotiations with the ol' minister of finance as to price-range increases, but I'm definitely interested in this class of boat.

One further question - whats the standard weight of boat and trailer combined? And what vehicles do you guys use to tow?

Xavier
xcbell

Post by xcbell »

And Peter,

Do you have an email that I can contact you to ask some more questions about Private Eye?

Mine is xcbell@live.com

Thanks

Xavier
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Not sure that there is a standard weight, but Yara's rig is reported to weigh in at ~1200 kg all up, ready to sail, on trailer.
We tow with a Subaru Liberty, 2.3 l. Towing rated at 1250 kg.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
peter yates

Post by peter yates »

Hi Xavier,
My email is pandaY@bigpond.com.

I think I forgot to mention the boat also has new spotted gum gunwhale protectors and the standard "never used porta-potti" under the V berth.

My price on "Private Eye" is not really negotiable, although I might be getting an older 6hp outboard soon which would mean I could keep the Yamaha 8 and drop the price by about $500 with the smaller motor.

I reckon the boat weighs about 900kg with average bits such as outboard, fuel etc. The trailer may be another 3 or 4 hundred, so at a guess a grand total to tow of 1300kg. That is why the brakes are really essential.

I tow behind a 2.9 turbo diesel Hyundai Terracan which does it very easily. Any vehicle weighing more than the rig and with the manufacturere saying it can tow 1300kg should manage it quite well. My previous was petrol X-Trail and it did it quite well too.

Whether you buy mine or not, I don't think you can improve on an Investigator as a first or last boat. Not super fast, but great in every other way. I've now had 2 of them.

Cheers

Peter
I563 number 004 - "Tricksy"
CAL14 - "Gypsy"
"Myf" the skiff
Chief

Post by Chief »

Hi Xavier

I too live in SA and have been on the hunt for an Investigator, very rare in SA and hard too find. Unfortunately family commitments have reduced available funds, prolonging my inevitable purchase. But I have looked at many many other brands and cheaper alternatives and none compare to this perfectly designed "little yacht". I have looked at a few and my advise is to try to find one in as original condition as possible. The two I have looked at had many modifications and both resulted in spongy cabin tops when you walk on them from poorly repaired holes and gelcoat repairs. I'll look forward to hearing of your progress and send a PM when you find something maybe we can exchange stories.

good luck
Chief
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
BobK

Post by BobK »

Xavier,

If you are looking for a good Investigator, then ours has to be one of the best around I'm sure.

But it will be on the high end of the price range, but as they say you get what you pay for.

We are going to put it on the market after we do a whale watching trip in Hervey Bay in September. It's a great boat and we've had a huge amount of pleasure out of it. Wouldn't buy anything else in this size range.

We'll be sorry to see it go but we are moving up to a 35ft Cat.
Bob
Margarita #32